New season talk type thread thing.

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: New season talk type thread thing.

Post by Joose »

Joseph Gilgun is a surprisingly good casting choice for Cassidy. Im not sure they can capture what made the comic great and have it still broadcastable on the telly though, so I am a little trepidatious.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

It's movie new rather than series, but it can go in here.

Prometheus 2 is now known as Alien Covenent, and now Scott is free of The Martian, it's being worked on. Script was apparently already done. Oct 2017 is the penned release time.

It's a shame that Alien 5 (or, Alien 3 redux?) by Blomkamp has been put on hold for this considering Scott's film keeps shifting, but it hopefully means we'll be getting two Alien films over the new few years to squeeze in between Star Wars and the new Trek film.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Jessica Jones

Ignore for the moment that this is a superhero series from Marvel. Powers, heroes, and villains aside, this series boils down to just incredibly good drama. I cannot stress enough how well written this is, how engaging the characters are, and how compelling the performances have been.

At its heart this is a sort of detective noir drama, dealing with the themes of PTSD, guilt, and, ultimately, rape. Now I've come to despise the theme of rape in modern film and television, as it's generally used to either titillate or form some bullshit plot device for character development. With Jessica Jones it is neither, partly as it is set after said events, but mostly because at no point is Jones forced into the typical "victim" trope. The Guardian did a surprisingly good (if not a little bit "Tumblry") article on it (massive spoilers within).

It also features an outstanding performance from David Tennant as Kilgrave, the antagonist of the series. I've always thought people got a bit too gushy over him before (then again I've never been much of a Doctor Who fan), but he really is good in this. Marvel have been a bit lacking in good villains - from the films Loki was excellent, but all other have been along the lines of "big and powerful destroy stuff" dudes. In the Daredevil series Wilson Fisk was bloody amazing (I thought I'd reviewed on here previously but can't find it). Kilgrave is well up there on the compelling villains list. It's testament to the Tennant and the writing that despite all the terrible things he does, he can still illicit sympathy for the character.

Marvel are really hitting the ball out of the park recently, especially when it comes to writing good, female driven stories. Feminism comes under a lot of fire these days (because it gets hijacked by morons and because the internet is a hateful breeding ground), but this is the genuine article - real, flawed characters, with motivations and issues like everyone else.

So I know it's become trendy again to say "I don't like superhero stuff", but seriously give it a watch. For me the setting or genre is irrelevant to good story telling. Personally I've always considered comics to be modern day parables - current issues and affairs against the backdrop of a magical and fantastic world.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Today appears to be Trailer Day. New thing from Syfy, based on a series of books:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQuTAPWJxNo[/youtube]

Its claiming to be the next Battlestar Galactica. I didnt really like Battlestar Galactica. The trailer for this looks good though.

It not started yet, but the first episode is available from the usual sources already for some reason.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

The first 4 episodes are available on the SyFy website, if you're in the US or can pretend you are - http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Ahh, that makes sense.

Ive now watched the first episode, and its good so far!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

As mentioned a couple of times by pnut, Ash Vs. Evil Dead is a thing, I just watched the first ep.

Things you need to know:
1) Bruce Campbell stars.
2) Sam Raimi is involved.
3) It is (rightly) fucking ridiculous
4) It is utterly fucking brilliant
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

This is something only available in the US, yeah? Well done publishers, another victory for piracy.

I'm feeling bitchy because I really want to see this and can't.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

If you have Virgin TV then you can get it on demand, if not then you will have to :sweep:
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I dunno, content restrictions are irrelevant.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

New Beowulf-themed series on ITV: Avoid. It's pretty bad.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUx__qQGew[/youtube]

Don't remember hearing of this before, but I think that looks pretty good.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Oh! I've read that book. It wasn't bad, could make a good film.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

The mind of a chef. Netflix. David Chang of momofuku being a food weirdy very interesting.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Are you okay Berk? Did you extract salmonella from all those duck eggs?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I'm fiiiiiiine.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:The mind of a chef. Netflix. David Chang of momofuku being a food weirdy very interesting.
Lets try again.

There's a series just appeared on netflix called The Mind of a Chef, It contains David Chang, of Momofuku fame, looking at all kinds of other deity grade chefs and seeing what grapes their squildos.

Rather interesting from a cheffy perspective, and otherwise just fucking entertaining. Also there's 48 episodes, so that's a lot, which is nice.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I can't believe it's taken me so long to get round to watching Archer. I've tried a few recommendations on here but I get bored of series quickly because it takes so long for anything to happen. Nobody makes standalone episodes any more it seems. Apart from Archer, which is fucking hilarious.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

My advice would be to stop watching after season 4. It all goes downhill from there.