Transmogrification Complete

Massively Mongy Online gaming. Bum your way through the internet public.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Transmogrification Complete

Post by Dog Pants »

Trigger warning: This is about World of Warcraft so will probably be gibberish to anyone who doesn't play it. Read on at your peril.

This week I have been transmogrifying my gear, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else fancies it. I've found it to be quite fun.

Transwhatnow?

So, Transmogrification (or 'mogging) is a service provided by a vendor (who is a human whirlwind blokey from BC, like the Void Storage guy) which will make a gear item look like another gear item. The point being that a) everyone doesn't look the same by the time they reach end-game and b) you can still look to be wearing that sweet T6 set you loved but is now 8 years (and 40 levels) out of date.

Fabulous. What's the deal?

Naturally there are a few rules. First and foremost, you have to own the item you want your gear to look like. That means treasure hunting in all manner of weird places hoping for it to drop. More on that later. Secondly, it has to be the same type of gear as the one you're mogging, so plate must look like plate, cloth to cloth, staff to staff. And so on. There is a slight caveat to that - some weapons which share an animation, and if you can use both classes, can be mogged. So in my case I can (in theory, I've not tried it) make my axes look like maces. But alas, probably not fist weapons. Other than that the only other rules of note are that you can't transfer them about - they lose their mog if you post/sell/guild bank them - and the item you used for the model will become soulbound. There's a few more things but they're not really important.

Going Window Shopping

So, there are thousands of items in the game. My first problem was that I didn't really know what I wanted, or what was available, or where to get anything. I did have a helmet I'd kept since BC though, just because it looked cool. So that was my starting point. After a certain amount of farting about and googling things I happened upon an addon called MogIt, which in my opinion is absolutely invaluable. It does three things: it lets you browse gear by class and location, on a model of your choice, in a nice GUI, and lets you set up comparisons with user defined sets. It also tells you where you can get the item(s) which looks like that, and finally it adds a 3D preview to item tooltips. Never sell a nice looking item by mistake again! Using MogIt you can build up a set of items to create the look you want, and an easy reference to where you can get them to drop. Go look the item up on WoWhead for more detailed info on who drops it if need be, but it's not a great hardship just to blitz the whole dungeon/raid. Especially since you can make a tidy profit selling all the crap you pick up.

Killing for fashion

All that's left to do then is to go get your items. Naturally, most of the best looking gear comes from dungeons and raids. Fortunately if you're level 100 you can solo most content, and it seems like they've been tweaked a little to allow it. The highest level I did was a level 85 (Cataclysm) 25-man heroic, which wasn't a walkover but I managed in with only three deaths (mostly due to not knowing the bosses). It's quite fun, very empowering, and a nice way to take a look at old raid content you might have missed the first time round.

Dressing up

Once you have a bit of gear, or all of it if you want to do it all together, take your pretty gear to a transmog vendor. He'll give you a little gear window, like on your character sheet, and just equip it as you would normally. It doesn't cost much, probably around 100g for a whole set, and can be reversed for free. Drop it in, click apply, and enjoy your beautiful magenta armour.