Moderator: Forum Moderators

buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Alien 5

Post by buzzmong »

Well, hot damn:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 72055.html

Looks like it's being pitched to be set after Aliens, with Ripley and Hicks being alive, to replace Alien3 and Ressurection in the timeline. The director is Neill Blomkamp, the chap behind District 9 and the upcoming Chappie, and Ridley Scott's production company is behind it as well, so expect some Scott involvement. Could be interesting.

Worth looking at Blompkamp's instagram as he's posted a chunk of pre-production art: https://instagram.com/neillblomkamp/

Thoughts?
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Re: Alien 5

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Well, as bloody fantastic a film district 9 was, that's how shit Elysium is. It was visually interesting but that's about it really. I'm eager to see Chappie since seeing as how he's done one good film and one not-so-good film it has a 50/50 chance of being excellent or awful.

As for a new alien directed by him? I don't know... So far Blomkamp's scenery has always been very industrial and urban so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out. I think we've already had the best Alien films though, but also the worst so see the 50/50 statement above.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Hmm. On the one hand I think retconning is a copout. Have the courage to integrate less than brilliant source into the extended universe, show some creativity. Use the opportunity to extend the universe further rather than wheeling out the same characters over and over again. On the other hand the franchise went downhill after Aliens, so there's not a great deal lost.

Think I'll still go with my first thoughts.
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Hmmm. It can't be any worse than 3, can it? In that mindset, I'd be happy with giving it a shot. Although Sigourney Weaver is getting on a bit now.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

If they are going down the route the comics went down, then Ripley, Hicks and Newt all survive and Earth gets infested, that could be quite good.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Pnut wrote:If they are going down the route the comics went down, then Ripley, Hicks and Newt all survive and Earth gets infested, that could be quite good.
It did always suck that they were just "oh yeah BTW, Newt's dead" instead of having continuity. Good to have the Ripley character, and the above scenario where 1 and 2 happened, but 3 didn't could be interesting.