Secondhand phones thread!

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Secondhand phones thread!

Post by Mr. Johnson »

So Mrs. J's phone died after a pretty impressive track record (considering it came from aldi) and I'm on the lookout for a new one. Since a brand new phone isn't in the budget because holy shit those things cost a lot does anyone have a decent android phone they're looking to sell? The version of android isn't that important since hers ran gingerbread and she was happy with that. (she has low phone standards)
deject
Berk
Berk

Re: Secondhand phones thread!

Post by deject »

Is the OnePlus One not available in the UK?
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

A quick look at their website suggests that yes you can, but it starts at £229, which i'm guessing counts as out of the budget.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

check out if you can get a moto G or a moto X anywhere. very good very affordable phones, and the 2013 editions crop up second hand everywhere as people are upgrading from them roundabout now

edit: oh you're looking to buy from us! sorry all I have are two smashed up galaxy S2s. although they might have enough parts between them to make a non-smashed up zombie S2...
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I'm taking all tips, since sooner or later I'm going to have to buy a new phone.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Okay, so seeing as no one has any spare phones what's the current go-to brand of android phone? Is Samsung still good?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I had a Samsung S3 until just before Christmas. I probably wouldn't have got rid of it if it wasn't for my dad hinting that he wanted it when my contract was up. Mrs Pants has the S3 mini, which isn't quite as good but it is.. well, smaller.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I have my Dad's old Galaxy Ace which broke (he bought a new HTC) and I managed to fix by hacking it. It's really bad though - hardly any memory for apps and stuff.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

It doesn't need to be capable of an awful lot, just photos, youtube and regular phone stuff. She does tend to take a lot of photos so a bigger memory might be worth pursuing.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

I might have a couple of HTC desire HDs about, but they'd probably cost more to post than they're worth. I know one has a broken camera, I assume the other works to some degree, but they are both old and ancient.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

I sell all my old phones as I tend to get premium handsets that have a good re-sale cost. Sorry dude!
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

I have a HTC Incredible S that's got a very decent camera on, 8MP from memory (better than my current M8 :| ) only the problem is the micro USB charger has come loose and doesn't work/charge. You can have it for free if you want to try and get it repaired?
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

Also, current gen HTC phones, I can't recommend the One M8 enough :) it's fairly pricey though.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

She seems to be set on using the archaic piece of junk her mom gave her. Mrs. J's relationship to technology is one that doesn't work very well and which she has no intention of trying to improve. I tried.

Thanks for the offer anyway Tezz.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

I've just scored a pretty cheap (£70) Nexus 4 on ebay so I'll let you know how it gets on but from the ones I've seen they're pretty good
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I've heard many good things about the nexus tablets so the phones are probably similarly good.