DnD from Pete

For games played by men (and women) with beards, such as tabletop RPGs.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

DnD from Pete

Post by HereComesPete »

Okay, the reason I don't want to finish shadowrun is I'm heavily in to my DnD again. As such I want to start GMing a 3.5e campaign.

It's for 4-6, it'll require RP, if you play your char out of a role and style that we discuss and build I will change your alignment etc, it's not super srs bznzz lul but I do want a degree of investment in to your character. I encourage power players or homebrew use and will help people build as required to ensure the group isn't unbalanced. First dibs are for Grimmie if he wants it as he puts in plenty of time GMing DnD and I had discussed with him a while ago.

For more detail, there is no restriction on race or class, but it will be an evil campaign so the nicest you can be is chaotic neutral.

Also multi-class will be free form without penalty to skills or such, if you want to splash a level in rogue for ninja stabbyness with wands whilst being a cosmic sorcerer, just meet requirement and it's yours. I'm open to psionics as well.

Same with race - whatever you want, spells the same, I'll even let you build your own spells and try and for everything you can try and persuade me that you can use it.

For stats it's rolling not buying, but it's roll 7x4d6, drop the lowest roll of the 4 and drop the lowest of the total sets, these are your attributes, re-roll any set less than 12 (exclusive of 12). You don't get attribute ups as you level. If you're not sure of which primary and secondary stats you should be putting the best numbers against, talk to me.

I'm open to high(ish) ecl classes as well, again persuade me why you should have them. I will set a limit at level adjust +4, not too concerned about ecl in and of itself as it's broken.

Free upbringing feat and max hp at level. Bonus level 0 spells for good attributes.

Any takers?

Players / Classes -
Grimmie - Wizard
Joose - ninja
FJ - cleric
shot2bits - baba/fighter?

Possibles -
Em - ?
Shada - kobold (maybe) rogue

No -
Buzzles - ?
Roman - ?
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Re: DnD from Pete

Post by Grimmie »

Yeeeessssssss.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Maybe!
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Moved details to top post
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Mebbe, have we got the 3.5 rulebook in the beardbox?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

There's a pdf in there, for reference, you can google pretty much any dnd manual with pdf as the suffix and it's been scanned and is available.

Recommend giants in the payground, dnd-wiki.org, dndwiki.com and the wotc community boards for reading.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I'd be interested but would defer to people not already playing campaigns if oversubscribed.

I could use some practice writing for an evil character that isn't one-dimensional.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Best place to start is book of vile darkness and book of exalted deeds for evil characters and their good counterparts. They offer insight in to how the anti-hero, paragon, redneck village hero/villain etc etc can be written and played. Also they offer background in the alignments (although complete scoundrel is good for that too) and how they are realised.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I am not uninterested. What starting level are you thinking?
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Starting level is flexible to help with level adjust/ecl shenanigans and the story I want to start. Levelling will be driven by RP as well as kills so I expect the levels to either fly apart or pull the group toward a close average of +/- 1 level.

Pitch me something exotic and we'll see if it fits in the story and can you use it.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

HereComesPete wrote:Pitch me something exotic and we'll see if it fits in the story and can you use it.
A challenge! Colour me interested.
Shada
Shambler
Shambler

Post by Shada »

hello can we fit a kobold (probably) rogue (almost certainly) in here somewhere
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I once played a kobold rogue called Bollock. I'd forgotten all about that horrible snivelly little bastard.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Shada wrote:hello can we fit a kobold (probably) rogue (almost certainly) in here somewhere
Absolutely, although a kobold may not last long.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

I was going to try and convert a Pathfinder class for use in 3.5, but on closer inspection the class sounds much better than it is. So I am going to stick with something 3.5 flavoured. However, I could really do with at least a vague idea of levels to aim at. Building a lvl 1-2 character is a very different prospect to building a lvl 10-11 character.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Pete mentioned going up to Level Adjustment +4, so I'm gonna build a level 4 Wizzy.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I'll be home again this evening, gonna have a look at what I can play then. Most likely a warrior of some description.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

Mr J, might want to look at a book called "Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords" if you want to build a really interesting warrior. It offers a lot of options for making interesting martial classes that blend physical abilities with magic.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I was looking at this last night and kept getting sidetracked and wasn't really sure about whether some of the fancy classes required quite high levels, so it's good to have a rough level to aim for.

I got a bit stuck trying to do it on that old 3.5 excel sheet, as that's very vanilla. I thought about whatever the evil version of a paladin is (I'm not sure what it's called). Also race-wise I though about some sort of golem a bit like the warforged in 4.0, but I don't know how stuff like being made out of stone affects the equivalent level.

I'll have a play with hero lab now I have a rough level to aim for - it's kind of tricky to build a backstory of evil deeds when you don't know what abilities they have. Perhaps some sort of evil cleric always wanting to make sacrifices, or a character that's like a monk but not actually a monk because they are a bit shit in DnD.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

FatherJack wrote:I thought about whatever the evil version of a paladin is (I'm not sure what it's called).
Anti-paladin.
FatherJack wrote:like a monk but not actually a monk
Monk-ey