Payday 2

Where we come together to shoot 5punk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Re: Payday 2

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

That's the thing though, even though I own almost all the DLCs, my 2 main guns are both Car-4s from the base game.

Also, only the person hosting the game needs to pay for the mission DLC, so, for example, buzz owns it so we can just join the game and play it, just means you can't host it yourself, it's not like bf2142 northern strike where basically you ended up excluded for not having the dlc.

Ultimately, I have the DLCs because I want them, not because I need em, and as I'm sure I've said before, there's a few that are worth picking up in sales if you're playing a lot, but they're by no means essential.

Admittedly, I'm not massively impressed by the price, I'd've been happy if there was a get both for £7 option, but I can understand that these newer missions tend to be fucking huge, and a not inconsiderable amount of effort goes into making the characters, so yeah, not a great price, but passable as far as I'm concerned.

Also, I want to make clover with a magenta beard, that's worth £4 to me.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

FatherJack wrote:It's still a bit too pricey considering extra heists have were usually free until recently. I don't play it enough to warrant spending money, but I worry that players like me will be excluded by not having DLC rather than just not having extra faces/guns.
Just to point out, extra heists aren't always free. We've had the Armoured Transports (5 missions including the train), Big Bank and Hotline Miami heists that were paid DLC. We've just had all the old Hoxton content for free. Overkill tend to alternate between paid and free content.

Plus as Berk said, to play the heists you don't need to own them in multiplayer, only the host of the game does (which narf, is a fairly nice way of doing it). You only need to buy it if you want to play it solo or host the game.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

That's what really separates them from all the AAA devs, there's an active effort not to separate the community, There's no "I MUST HAVE THE £35 SEASON PASS TO GO WITH MY £48 GAME ELSE I CAN'T PLAY WITH MY MATES"* It's just a matter of, if you pay money, you get extra toys, it's a bit like the TF2/Dota2 thing, where if you like you can throw money at the game for your own enjoyment.

*I hate this, Yearly CoDs with fucking season passes are the bane of my fucking existence.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Having said all of that (and this is another reason the ability to play the missions without buying them is great) I'm not all that impressed by the diamond job, the map is quite nice, easy to learn buy rather challenging to do loud or stealth, and there's nothing inherently wrong with it (aside from the low payout, but they're meant to fix that)

It's not bad, but It's just not worth a fiver to me, I'll pick this one up in a sale.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

All good to know. Wasn't moaning just reality-checking - my only evidence for heists normally being free being looking at the 'all DLC' list on Steam - it adds up to over 50 notes if you must have it all, but it's great none of it is compulsory to play with your mates*. That said, I would probably pay money to make myself a lady with a beard, too: tits and beards are two of my favourite things and it's rare I get to experience them both at once.

* unless your mates are elitist bastards who shun anyone without the completely optimum build
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Just for you FJ:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJN0gLPO0Pk[/media]
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Just a reminder for those people who haven't played Payday in a couple of months or who are relative new comers:

Don't forget to start working on your Perk decks (via the Skills page). They're very helpful.

Should have mentioned this to you last night FJ, as I don't think Fab or I said anything about them.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

:above: it's also worth just concentrating on one deck for a start, as the higher end stuff is more valuable than having the exact right bits for the job.

If you want to stealth, there's Rogue, Hitman And Burglar, all have good traits.

For Loud (enforcer specifically) Armorer and Muscle are lovely, I personally value armorer a little higher, because it acts as regenerative health, effectively (and if you're doing enforcer right, you're already below 25% health)
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I spent my perk points in Hitman and started to spend my skill points in Fugitive, both with a view to getting the dual-wield skills, but fell a little short and ran out of money trying to buy skills. Not sure if I got all the money back when I made a mistake and hit respec.

I think I had about two and a half million cash and 14 million in the offshore account, but can't spend the latter and not sure where all the former went so quick. I thought I'd try a quick SP game to get more money, but the payout was only like 100k - I guess trying not to get in the way on you guy's heists is where the real money is.
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

The couple of heists I did with you you certainly weren't in the way! Most of the time there is one person leading and the rest of us charge in at some point to murder everyone to death make sure it stays stealthy so considering that you did excellently! And given you've only finished a handful of heists you did everything right!
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

I think it's worth mentioning that none of us ever intentionally take the lead, it's just at some point you're all sat around waiting to go and someone suggests we do.

Equally, the ECM management is wholly based on necessity and utterly reliant on someone noticing we're about to fuck up.

Ultimately though, it's all pure dumb luck.

I shall also add here that if anyone is struggling to get into playdate we're all quite happy to jump on to give you a hand and do some easy stuff in super slow mo so you can kinda get a feel for it without the somewhat overwhelming 70 seconds of tactics and violence, then 10 minutes of AFKing and basketball.
Wifeyberk
Mushroom
Mushroom

Post by Wifeyberk »

FJ- I used to feel like I was a pain in the arse getting in the way. Especially on Shadow Raid, but truth be told you're not. We enjoy the game when people "fuck up" and last night, Anham, Berk and myself screwed up monumentally. My specialty is standing under a camera and not knowing/noticing it there.

As Berk said, if you want to get into the game, we're all more than willing to run some missions with anyone. I do think that we as a team are a bit overwhelming, purely because we've run so many missions we know most of them like the backs of our hands and are capable of doing the vast majority in stealth in 10 minutes and having to spend 5 minutes talking bollocks whilst the drill finishes. Berk and I were talking about this the other day, bar one persons slot, we barely change, it's usually Berk, Fab, Me, and Anham/Buzz, so it can be a bit overpowering, and what I have personally noticed is, the blokes don't explain what they're doing and why. So like last night, you didn't realise they'd dropped down through the window because they naturally assumed you knew.
Anhamgrimmar
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Anhamgrimmar »

also, to be honest, you're currently a higher level than me (when you get to lvl 100, you can give everything up and go back to lvl 0 in exchange for a terrible mask, i've just gone back to IV-00), so if we play together, i'll be the one getting in the way/collecting a cloakerboot to the face/getting tazed in the balls/using terrible guns

Also, when you respec a skill tree, you get all the points, but its something like an 80% refund.

Alsoalso: it takes the same amount of money to skill up each skill profile. this is why when i respecced everything last night i ended up with 25m just from dropping my skilltrees!
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Well, turns out Shadow Raid is entirely do-able solo on Death Wish, with a bit of help from the RNG gods with sewer grate, ladder and camera placement. Big XP and loot to be had.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

buzzmong wrote:Well, turns out Shadow Raid is entirely do-able solo on Death Wish, with a bit of help from the RNG gods with sewer grate, ladder and camera placement. Big XP and loot to be had.
Yep, full clear takes about an hour generally, but it's silly money :)
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Annnd, Overkill are giving away another free update:

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/happynewyear/

Also, Fab and I did The Diamond on death wish last night. We screwed up and went loud just before getting into the diamond room, I promptly then set off the gas and we got battered about by cloakers as we were waiting for the chopper, but we bloody well did it. The Diamond is now worth six million dorrahs on DW if you fancy a crack at it :)
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJgGWwFvKyg[/media]

New Contact: The butcher (Appears to be an arms dealer)
New Dude: Dragan (Almost certainly serbian or bosnian, so probably fucking psychotic)
New Job: The Bomb (I'm gonna guess suitcase nuke here)

Guessing £7/£5 for this one.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

They keep mentioning Budapest, and from my experience with Hungarians you just know he's crazy.
Anhamgrimmar
Ninja Pirate
Ninja Pirate

Post by Anhamgrimmar »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJgGWwFvKyg[/media]

New Contact: The butcher (Appears to be an arms dealer Minbari Ambassador)
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Site's up: http://www.overkillsoftware.com/games/thebomb/

Day 1:
Two new maps, and the wording says it's two actual heists rather than a multiday.
Prices for DLC are the same deal as Diamond and Clover DLC's, with The Bomb at $6.99 and Dragan at $4.99.

Day 2:
TBA - Although, that's the coat of arms of Croatia.

Day 3:
TBA