Forum for organising the next LAN event

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

iSeries - August 22-25

Post by Anery »

So.
I am back from i50 - Multiplays golden "LANiversary" and it was fucking awesome. I drank so much on Sat night that I am still recovering now.
The pub quiz had a £3 ticket price attached to it and it was worth it, comedian (John Tompkinson) minor celebs (Max and OB from Hollyoaks - actually quite entertaining) presenting the Multiplay awards (best game, most helpful forum member etc) then a tribute cock rock band. Not only that but there were actual fucking tables with 10 seats each - though we ended up sat by ourselves anyway. (vidja of the awards, Gabe Newel - much fucking love)

During what can only be described as a mass geek/nerd piss up, it was announced that Telford would no longer be the home of iSeries and that the new venue would be the Ricoh stadium in Coventry. This meant several of the problems caused by Telford have been readdressed and it really looks like a step up for MP as a whole.

1. Venue is fully air-conditioned - no more sweltering when Telford don't open the vents.
2. Venue is nice, carpeted and looks like easily segmented too.
3. Bars on-site - not thrown together temporary things but proper bars that MP can stream the live action from the main stage to (will await bar prices from i51 in spring)
4. Proper food, not shite. If you really want, you can pick up a 3 course meal in the bar for twenty quid.
5. Hotel INSIDE the complex - I know this won't mean too much but fuck, it's nice.
6. Only limit on hotel room occupancy is fire regulations - this has been confirmed by MP, to quote Wizzo (MD Multiplay) "airbeds ahoy"
7. Camping next door and apparently purpose built - so showers should be well provided and no 10 minute walk to the venue
(vidja here - not everything is mentioned, I got some info from forums)

So I am suggesting that we all go to i52. It is a fantastic piss up, the exhibition during summer is good, the tournaments are good to watch even if you don't play the games yourself (as proved by CS:S which I can't abide but had a great time watching the final for) and you can walk around and admire/laugh at everyones rig.

OK. Pricing. These are the Bring Your Own Computer prices and cover the entire weekend Fri - Mon

Early Bird special (available for about 2 - 3 weeks after tickets go on sale, or for like the first 750 tickets) - £73.60, camping included
None Early Bird - £97, camping £20 per person.
Early Access Service (pitch up and set up on Thurs) - £15

I know, it seems pretty expensive, but if you get in early you can get the ticket, camping and early access for less than the full price and it does cover the full weekend and all activities. If you don't fancy camping then sharing hotel rooms is a lot more do-able now - I can't see it costing more than £50 pp with 4 sharing.

What say you bummers?
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: iSeries - August 22-25

Post by Dog Pants »

That venue looks pretty fucking good. Just having a decent bar (or several) is an advantage, air con is a bonus. It is expensive, but it would effectively be my holiday for the year. Look at it like that and it's not a lot to pay. If I can convince Mrs Pants to let me bog off for a long weekend and leave her with two kids, and if I can get the money together, I'm in. The one I went to last year was great.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

The Ricoh eh? That's actually a very good choice of venue.

I'll actually be working about 2/3 mins from it come January.

Just a shame it doesn't have a train directly to it.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Pretty sure we can arrange a lift if you need it Buzz. Just make sure your kit is fairly small or it won't fit in my car :roll:
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I live a shade under 20 miles away...the only 5punker who is closer is FJ :)

The train comment was just a general thing about the venue. If it had a direct train, instead of having to get the bus from actual Cov station, it would be all round awesome. It still boggles my mind they never put a train line in when they built it.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

:likesitall: Woo! looks like a good event can get even better.
Would also be up for it again, assuming work/mrs/monies etc are all willing, and the more 5punkers the merrier!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

That sounds pretty cool but even if I could afford it I can't haul my PC that far.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

I will hopefully be going to this if i can save up enough, which shouldn't be too hard seeing as its yonks away
Mr. Johnson wrote:That sounds pretty cool but even if I could afford it I can't haul my PC that far.
afaik pooter rentals are available, probably do this myself unless Ive built a new machine and learn to drive before then.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

buzzmong wrote:It still boggles my mind they never put a train line in when they built it.
The Bedworth train line runs *right* next to it - there's an underpass you have to walk through when going between the retail park and the stadium. They just never built a station.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

Multiplay have posted the prices for the accommodation.

Camping is 20 quid per person if you don't manage to buy your ticket as part of the early bird package (cheaper tickets, free camping) camping is access through underpass FJ mentioned.

On site (inside the actual arena, no chance for the fresh air sniper to get you on the way home) 50 quid per night. They don't mind if you bring air beds either.

Nearby (10 min drive) Novotel 29 quid per person per night.

Unless you are willing to camp (hahahahahaah, fuck off) then the cheapest option no matter which way you look at it is the onsite hotel, De Veres.
Anery
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Anery »

I've decided that I won't be attending i-Series this year. It is more fun with more folks and I don't think it is particularly convenient for many at the moment - so I'm not holding a bash instead