For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

eRabbit
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Re: Movie mini reviews

Post by eRabbit »

buzzmong wrote:Starship Troopers 3.

Yeah, it's probably worse than the second one. However, it does at least attempt to capture the overtly fascist nature of the Federation, something the original ST book was rather hot about and was missing from the first film.
Is that the one with Casper Van Dien back in it, and big stompy robots?
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Yus. It is. And very very poor CGI.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

The CGI in 2 is not too shabby. The storyline is fucking shite. The storyline in 3 is okay and the cgi is like a spastic sicked up some crayons.

Either way, 2 has far more tits in it.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

The Pirates! Band of Misfits

Pirates! Beards! Ham! Brian Blessed!
A charming tale by aardman about a crew of pirates and their leader, the pirate captain (Hugh Grant).
I don't know what it's like in the UK, but here this film is going by woefully unnoticed, there is literally no advertising campaign and I only noticed it was out in the cinema by accident and that's a damn shame as it's a witty, extremely well made claymation tale with tons of genuinely funny gags (a lot of them going on in the background, attentive viewers will be rewarded). It also has a somewhat monkey island vibe, but that might've been me.
Obviously If you're going to put beards, claymation and Brian Blessed in one film I can't dislike it, but you really should see this as it's a damn good film.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Ha, I think I want to watch that one! Yarr!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

If you can, avoid the 3D version. We went to the standard 2D version, and I don't see how 3D can make it better (so technically it can't be worse either).
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

The Devil Inside

Promising horror shot in a "Paranormal Activity" style that ultimately fails to be entertaining due to attempting to be too mysterious. Features the worst ending I've ever seen to a film.

2 muffs out of 10.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Horror films are nearly universally shit, so that isn't surprising.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)*

An interesting and clever twist on the horror genre, not what you'd expect at all. Don't watch the trailer, don't read up on the plot or spoiler filled reviews. Just see it, at the cinema or home later. I'm not saying it's the best film ever, but it's a lot of fun and better if you don't know what's coming.

*Not linking to IMDb for reasons above

/edit
Also, disproving deject's statement above.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I made the mistake of looking at the trailer after I saw everyone raving about how good it was, and now I'm never looking at trailers again. Fuck you, trailers!
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Mr. Johnson wrote:I made the mistake of looking at the trailer after I saw everyone raving about how good it was, and now I'm never looking at trailers again. Fuck you, trailers!
Wow, I just checked the trailer again and it even shows parts of the final act, not cool.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

This was on the BBC website, and while I haven't seen the trailer, just read some of the elements discussed, I echo what one of the posters there said, that I would have had no interest in this film if I hadn't known about the
Spoiler:
sci-fi
element.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

spoodie wrote:/edit
Also, disproving deject's statement above.
If you think one example disproves my statement, you clearly don't understand it at all.

I've never said that there are no good horror movies, but that seems to be what people think I mean. My point is that as a genre it's shit and awful. There will always be exceptions to the rules but that never disproves them.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Avengers

HnnnnnnnnnnngggggharrrrrrrrrrrghnnnnnnnnuuuuuuuuuuhAMAZEBALLSaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnrrrrrrrrrrSOAWESOMEgggggggggrrrrrrrraaaaaaaahFUCKYEAHrgh!

*The noise you are currently hearing is a big comics fan trying not to explode in a torrent of hyperbole. It roughly translates as "Avengers was very good. I shall attempt a more detailed review when I have calmed down".*
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Joose wrote:Avengers

HnnnnnnnnnnngggggharrrrrrrrrrrghnnnnnnnnuuuuuuuuuuhAMAZEBALLSaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnrrrrrrrrrrSOAWESOMEgggggggggrrrrrrrraaaaaaaahFUCKYEAHrgh!

*The noise you are currently hearing is a big comics fan trying not to explode in a torrent of hyperbole. It roughly translates as "Avengers was very good. I shall attempt a more detailed review when I have calmed down".*
I fucking loved this film. Even with a hurty chest and a cinema filled with cunts (children and persistent rustlers) I enjoyed every second of it. Friend I went to see it with pointed out that there wasn't much of story in comparison to the other films, and the individual characters don't get much development - it's true, but that's what I expected.

It's an action film, and it's a bloody good one. It's also littered with many a geeky reference (I liked the line in the post credits* scene the best of these). Also, whilst the other films were funny, this one had me belly laughing on two separate occasions.

I will undoubtedly see this again very soon.

*You don't have to wait till the end of the credits this time, just a minute or so after the fancy bits.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

Roman Totale wrote:It's also littered with many a geeky reference (I liked the line in the post credits* scene the best of these).
On that note:
Spoiler:
THANOS!!
I will undoubtedly see this again very soon.
Me too. Im dragging the mrs along at some point this week.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Not really a review, but some worthy observations of the film:

A Series of Emails from Prometheus' New Tech Guy
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Hanna (2011) pleasing.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Hanna (2011) pleasing.
Agreed. I could have done with fewer stupid camera tricks, but I liked the mix of action and coming-of-age. Plus the Chemical Brothers soundtrack was great too.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

The Amazing Spider-Man

Bloody good. Far better than the last Spidey franchise (and I actually quite liked them. Well, the first two anyway). Its a little grittier than the Tobey Maguire one, not The Dark Knight gritty but not as shiney-pretty cartoony goodness. The guy who plays Peter Parker makes a *much* better Spider-man, really capturing the constant stream of chatting during the fights without it becoming silly, and the outfit looks like something an intelligent teenager could actually put together in his home whilst still being "right" for the character. There were a couple things I noticed which im not sure are plot holes or just things they will explain in the next film (its going to be another trilogy), and although the Lizard was better than I thought it was going to be there was something about his face that just seemed a bit...goofy. I'm not sure the story would hold up by itself, but then I always find origin storys a little dry and it is more than made up for by the decent performances and action scenes.

The only real criticism I have of it is the continuity. Its only a little thing I know, but there are a lot of moments where (for example) a guy takes off his hat, and then takes his hat off again in the next scene, or a door will get smashed and then magically be fixed moments later, or Parker puts his backpack down, jumps off a building, swings across the city, then takes something out of the backpack that he left on the first building. Like I say, they are only little things and every film has them, but god damn there are a lot in this film.

Course, I'm a sod for noticing continuity errors, so most people probably wont notice.