Electric guitar radio oddity.

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joose
Turret
Turret

Electric guitar radio oddity.

Post by Joose »

I have an electric guitar, and a rather cheap amp. Sometimes (but not all the time) when you plug it in, you can hear, very gently, in the background, some sort of radio station. Theres definately talking going on, but its not loud enough to make out properly.

If you touch the strings, the radio gets clearer, which seems to imply the guitar is acting like a radio somehow. Anyone got the slightest clue why this is happening, or shall i just put it down to the incredably shite job the electrician did on this place?
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

MAGIC!™
Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

There was a tutorial not long ago- on MAKE:Blog, I think, about how to make your own radio. That'll probably tell you what's going on.

It might still just tell you it's Magic™ though.
Sol
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Sol »

Happens. Hey i have a rather expensive amp, and it still does it sometimes.

Something to do with the cables acting like an aerial and the magnet in the speaker.

I'll just settle with Magic™ though.
JamieChalm
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by JamieChalm »

I agree with Magic™, but I get this occasionally. Turning it down a wee bit seems a bit, but ruins my RAWKing a little.

Actually, just wait till your favourite song comes on the radio, and jam to it :boogie:
Bob47
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer
Salmon Ninja Pirate Gayer

Post by Bob47 »

my amps(well brothers ones) never get that but i like jamie's opotion
cashy
Zombie
Zombie

Post by cashy »

use plastic strings?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Is it a radio station, or perhaps a local CB-er? You can get mains RF filters to plug the amp into which lessen that sort of thing. A mate who was a keen CB-radioer had an unfortunate neighbour right in his "node". Whenever my mate keyed up this guy's VCR would randomly perform a rewind/wind function and he'd hear my mate's voice through his TV speakers as clear as a bell.

I have a bass guitar, but that only ever picks up microwave radiation and the seductive whispers of our alien conquerors, like in "They Live".

I don't actually know how to play it, but it is *extremely* loud, so I occasionally allow my neighbours to "feel the bass" when their music is too loud. It usually stops instantly, even though the perpetrator is three doors away.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

FatherJack wrote:Is it a radio station, or perhaps a local CB-er? You can get mains RF filters to plug the amp into which lessen that sort of thing. A mate who was a keen CB-radioer had an unfortunate neighbour right in his "node". Whenever my mate keyed up this guy's VCR would randomly perform a rewind/wind function and he'd hear my mate's voice through his TV speakers as clear as a bell.
pffffttt the fun you could have with this :lol:
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

That reminds me, I must actually use the fucking great big Fender Amp I bought years back, that's been collecting dust with my Electric Guitar I bought about 8 years ago.

I still haven't had any lessons, and I can only play twinkle twinkle little star with just one string :cry:

*rocks out to the nursery rhymes* Image