What's your scariest movie of ALL TIME!!

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

friznit wrote:I find most so-called 'horror' movies to be the best comedy around. They're so gratuitously overdone its laughable. Ironically the one film that scared the shit out of me was Ghostbusters. The screaming old lady in the library shat me up for years.
The bathtub scene in Ghostbusters 2 entered my head every time I would take a bath when I was a young lad.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I don't really seem to share everyone else's fear of J-horror it would seem. I admit I've only ever seen a bit of the ring and the one with the strangling hair kids (the grudge?) but I found neither of them very scary, They do the things that usually shit me up but it seems to have little effect on me, not sure why.
On the other hand, Davis Lynch's films do scare me, Lost Highway in particular. The fact that I first watched it in the dead of night when I was home alone whilst a thunderstorm was raging outside didn't really improve things. Most people look at me funny when I tell them so maybe I'm interpreting things the wrong way, dunno. People generally look at me funny though.
More recently I've seen Threads after hearing some people at the bash talk about it, and while it's not scary in a horror film kind of way I did find sleeping very difficult that night. Did they show this in British schools in the 80's? Because they should!
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Mr. Johnson wrote:More recently I've seen Threads after hearing some people at the bash talk about it, and while it's not scary in a horror film kind of way I did find sleeping very difficult that night. Did they show this in British schools in the 80's? Because they should!
I vaguely recall seeing it around that time, not sure if it was at school though. They did show Gregory's Girl, Kes and Clockwise though, not that there was anything scary about them. Also, we got to watch The Young Ones when we went on overnight school trip things.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I've only seen Threads fairly recently, I don't think I was aware of it at the time. Are you aware of the Internet sensation that is Anne Sellors? Her particular role to the programme has made her famous.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Mr. Johnson wrote:On the other hand, Davis Lynch's films do scare me, Lost Highway in particular.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT2cJg8lut8[/media]
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

FatherJack wrote: I vaguely recall seeing it around that time, not sure if it was at school though. They did show Gregory's Girl, Kes and Clockwise though, not that there was anything scary about them. Also, we got to watch The Young Ones when we went on overnight school trip things.
They did show it in schools in the 80s apparently. A guy at work was shown it in his school, during the peak of the nuclear scare and he was Sheffield :lol: So that scared the bejesus out of him.

Threads being scary. Hmm. It's not scary in the sense of a horror film that instantly disturbs you and you think about in the dark but it does come to you when you think about the possibility of nuclear war and what would actually happen. For instance, due to National Grid's dependency on the internet to circulate and maintain levels for gas and electric is actually worse now, if a nuclear bomb caused a Electromagnetic pulse.

So I guess if you saw Threads during the peak of the Cold War, it would really fucking disturb you. Nowadays less but still disturbing. Well worth a sweep.
Pnut
Ninja
Ninja

Post by Pnut »

I have vague memories of watching threads, but cant remember if it was in school or not.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Around the same time there was something else broadcast, I think another BBC mini-series, about nuclear war. It ended with a doctor bloke running into a big meeting of all the heads of state (who had caused all the sufferering he'd seen) and bashing two bits of plutonium together to give them all a lethal dose of radiation. Can't remember what it was called though.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Pnut wrote:I have vague memories of watching threads, but cant remember if it was in school or not.
u r too old lol!!1!