Movie mini reviews

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Robin Hood (2010)

Ridley Scott's take on the Robin Hood legend came out recently and it's not too bad.

First issue I'll deal with is Russell Crowe. You've probably heard some things about his ever changing accent and you'd be right. It's not consistant, however the parts where he's inconsistant aren't really too noticeable as you're often focusing on what is said rather than how.

Now that's dealt with, it's a decent enough film. Lots of action, a somewhat interesting plot even if it doesn't really hold any suprises after about half way through and barrels on nicely to the film's conclusion.

The film deals with Robin Longstride (note: not Loxley) and how he becomes Robin Hood, rather than his adventures as Hood. I could talk about the plot but it will spoil it so I'm not.

There are a couple of things which did annoy me though. Glassware was a small one. The seriously small size of the armies being another, massing to perhaps a few hundred on each side, nothing more. Then there's also the apparent speed of horses. I wasn't aware that a horse and rider in chainmail could make it down from South Yorkshire / Nottinghamshire to the cliffs of Dover in the time it takes for a sailboat to cross the channel from France.

The big one though is the "landing craft". Ridley Scott obviously loves Saving Private Ryan, as the boats are simply wooden versions of the WWII American landing craft. You half expect a machine gun to open up at one point and it really does make you laugh at how rediculous it is.

If you ignore those gaffs though, it's an enjoyable action film with some rather nice cinematography and a decent enough plot. Lots of politcal intrugue storywise for what I did expect to be a simple action plot.

It's worth seeing at the cinema if you can get a discount (ie, Orange Wednesdays).

:starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starempty::starempty::starempty: 7/10

(There's going to be spelling and grammar mistakes in this post, I'm tired and will edit it later).
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Sounds pretty much like what I expected - decent enough entertainment if you leave your brains behind. Also;
buzzmong wrote:the boats are simply wooden versions of the WWII American landing craft.
LCVPs were also made out of wood. :P
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

I did not know that, however, my point is that if you take the WWII boats, add chunkier design on taking cues from sailboats, you get the ones in the film.

They're hilarious :)
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

The A-Team

Totally awesome. Over the top action, but in a good way, not like Shoot 'Em Up. Wikus Van Der Merwe does a good job. Plus it has Liam Neeson.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

deject wrote:The A-Team

Totally awesome. Over the top action, but in a good way, not like Shoot 'Em Up. Wikus Van Der Merwe does a good job. Plus it has Liam Neeson.
I'm totally seeing this next week, even if it means the missus has to stand outside waiting for two hours.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

My name is Bruce (2007)

When a small American town is besieged by the ancient Chinese protector of bean curds (which is American for tofu, apparently), who do you call?
That's right, Bruce Campbell!

Clearly made for his fans, it has a low budget, mediocre acting and Ted Raimi. Go see this now.

It also reminded me that we still haven't had Evil Dead IV. Stop sucking Hollywood's dick and get to it Sam Raimi!
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Fright Night Part 2 (1988)

As the name suggest; a sequel to my favourite vampire film Fright Night (which they're apparently remaking with Colin Farrell and David Tennant), and as far as sequels go it's actually very good. It seems to avoid many of the pitfalls that make most sequels shit, such as needlessly crowbarring in characters from previous instalments and trying to sew both films together by making it seem as if no time has passed inbetween.
In all, a most enjoyable vampire flick that didn't try to change the genre or overdo the original, which I approve.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Inception

First off, I knew I'd like this film from the very first trailer. I was positively biased from the start because I love things that deal with dreams and I like Nolan as a director. However, there are a few issues.

It is visually stunning to be fair, the scenes where the world is turning upside down and all around is amazing. My problem though is that it is a little too polished. Considering most of the film is set inside a dream, it just looks far too ordinary. As a dream I was expecting more incongruous scenes and backgrounds (not just Escher type stairs).

Di Caprio isn't a fantastic actor either. Several times I thought I was still in the showing of Shutter Island. Tom Hardy (as a camp luvvie) and 3rd Rock from the Sun chappie (sharp suited sidekick) are both top notch though - really enjoyed their performances. Ellen Page doesn't do a great deal, but she does get dressed up in a tight little business suit and wear her hair in a bun which is super hot.

Ok, reading that back it's mainly negative, but hopefully that will offset the massively expectations this film has already set.

It's good, watch it.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Unlike Roman, I think Di Caprio is suited to the role (if a little young narf), he does seem to be erring towards a certain type of character these days.

Regardless, Inception is a great film, you can't say much about it though otherwise you'd kind of ruin bits, the concepts put forward though are really interesting. I'd probably give it a 9/10.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Cronos (1993)

Guillermo Del Toro's first feature film, and despite it's apparent low budget a very good one.
I won't ruin too much of the plot for you, but if you liked Pan's Labyrinth then you will probably like this, it's horror at it's best. It's also mostly in Spanish, but oddly enough the antagonists are Americans (one of them being Ron Perlman, unsurprisingly) so some of the dialogue is in English. Which is weird.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

The Expendables

Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren and Steve Austin in an action movie.

What more do I need to say?

As a proper movie, with a coherent plot and stuff, it's maybe a 5/10.

However, if you accept that it's going to be FUCKING INSANE, then sit back and enjoy how completely hatstand it is, it's at least 10/10.

Go See. Now.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

You forgot terry crews and his old spice aaaaaabdominals.

spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I saw Expendables this afternoon and it's good for what it is. And that's an action movie from the 80s that fell through a time hole. My favourite part was when hundreds of people were violently killed.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Centurion

British made film about a bunch of Roman soldiers cut off behind enemy lines in Scotland. Very compelling, well-researched and lots of graphic head choppings off. You hardly notice the non-Hollywood budget and although it could have used more Romans doing what Romans do it was nevertheless a cracking good film. Well worth watching.

:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty:
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I don't need to tell anyone that the Phantom Menace is a bad film, but this is a very good review none the less:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI[/media]
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

The Attack of the Clones one is even better.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 4665E325AF

Here is a playlist for the Phantom menace one:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 45C1BD516D
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Red Cliff

Chinese epic war film set in the 13th Century about the Battle of Red Cliff. Made by John Woo, of wires and double pistol fame. Full AAA budget, mega cast, great acting, lots of sword dancing and all the elegance you would expect from middle ages China. It was filmed in two parts but released in the West as a single cut down version called Red Cliff II. If you can, seek out the full five hours double installment, it's worth it.

Loses a star for getting a bit slow in the middle, which means it won't be to everyone's taste. But if you enjoy epic movies this is one to watch.

:starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty:
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Buried (2010)

A saw this last weekend and it was pretty good. Especially considering the constraints of the story. Ryan Reynolds plays his role quite expertly. I wont say any more as it's probably best to have as few expectations as possible.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I've watched quite the number of films recently, yet forgotten to review them. I now remedy this.

Edge of Darkness
Mel Gibson uncovering layers of governmental cover-ups surrounding his activist daughter's death. Quite entertaining.

The Descent 1 and 2
1 is better, 2 feels like a rehash. All-girl team get lost in caves and discover nasty gribblies. Which eat them.

Dungeons And Dragons - Wrath Of The Dragon God
Awful foreign TV collaboration which makes the 2000 film look good.

Gangster No.1
Nice portrayal of the rise of a sixties London gangster which ends stupidly and abruptly.

The Road
Post apocalyptic tale of father and son on their travels. Gritty, yet as muted as the palette. Seeing the method-actors so skinny faintly disturbing.

Kick-Ass
Rather fun, with a line near the end I'd been thinking since I saw the preview, dirty bastard that I am.

The Fourth Kind
Totally spazzy attempt at trying to convince you the events are real, yet manages to be quite creepy if you disregard this.

Surrogates
Nice sci-fi action with Bruce Willis. Totally stupid selfish ending on his part.

Switchblade Romance
French slasher flick. The twist is a surprise, but that's mainly because it doesn't actually make any logical sense even if you re-watch it.

Sorority Row
Slasher nonsense. Nobody keeps their "secret" so it's all bollocks.

Dead Man Running
Fun "get X money in X hours" flick reminiscent of Run Lola Run and other London-based gangster things. Satisfying ending.

Three Kingdoms - Resurrection Of The Dragon
Based on the same book as Red Cliff, etc. Good if you like this sort of thing. I do.

Daybreakers
Vampires rule and feed off farmed humans. Great idea. Then one of the top farmers stumbles into a colony of human survivors. I liked this.

Triangle
Entertaining weirdy horror about inevitability, although the ending may piss you off.

Paranormal Activity
Rather scary, despite its simplicity and obvious ending.

Orphan
Nasty creepy horrid girl, er I mean cute poor orphan comes to live with family. Ick.

Jennifer's Body
Way better than the jock fodder the box art suggests. Proper film about a ghoul for once.

Inglorious Bastards (not Basterds)
A little anticlimatic, but with meatier, more bastardy bastards than the Tarantino remake. Nothing to top that scene with the German at the top of Basterds, though.

Halloween (Rob Zombie)
Great

Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie)
Shit
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

FatherJack wrote: Inglorious Bastards (not Basterds)
A little anticlimatic, but with meatier, more bastardy bastards than the Tarantino remake. Nothing to top that scene with the German at the top of Basterds, though.
I really enjoyed. The guy who plays the SS Colonel is absolutely fantastic - completely stole the show.