Minecraft

Talk on any game/console that doesn't have its own forum, including browser-based games

Moderator: Forum Moderators

shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

are you playing on a map that was generated before the secret chambers and the copper updates? if so youll need to walk about and get new terrain generated to find any

survival mp is going into a private testing phase next week aswell
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

No, I started a new one this morning. I couldn't be arsed wandering off to generate new terrain. I've actually found some 'copper' now, although copper is definately a misnomer - it's bright red with glowy bits in. Multiplayer will give the game a massive new lease of life, especially with the new bits of stuff added. Once that's in place all we need is some sort of occasional objective (such as survive the zombie horde/massive critter/viking invasion) or event.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

i remember reading somewere zombie hordes somewhere down the pipeline

i made a new map today at about 12, ive been exploring the same natural cave since then, i keep finding new little nooks that lead up to higher levels and more treasures to be found, ive got a mixture of gold and diamond armour and weapons and am smelting fucktons of iron into minecart tracks for lolorcoaster around the lavafalls

handy info on new items for making logic gates and how they can be used http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... 35&t=16440
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I love the Minecraft logic gates, someone did it in DF so I suppose it's only a matter of time (in fact I think someone already made a full adder out of sand and dynamite). Unfortunately, according to a few comments on the blog, water doesn't flow through open doors. Not tried it myself.

Aside from all the 4chan retardity that permeates Notch's blog, the latest entry has this interesting comment;
I've been collecting these from Notch's blog comments for about 2 months. Here goes:

-Underground lakes, Underground rivers. ACTUAL rivers, not spring tiles - meaning they'd be much longer and not depend on having any vertical drop.

-Volcanoes & volcanic eruptions (rare). Lava should cool if outside a cave for too long.

-Geysers and hot springs (which heal you). Found only if a pool of water is very near lava at high elevations.

-Stalagtites and Stalagmites in caves. Give caves the splendor they have in real life!

-Dynamic Trees! Different size (height + width) trees based on age and SPECIES of tree. Numerous tree species.
-Some rare trees grow to enormous size (think Redwoods). Palm trees & Jungles.
-Vines that grow up buildings and cliffs!

-Climate zones: separate heightmaps (desert is more flat than mountains) and changed tiletypes + large boulders, old trees, ancient random ruins, hostile villages

-Weather & Seasons (-ICE! In winter, water will freeze! Even waterfalls may freeze!)
-Snow / ice / WIND on mountain-tops [also, BIGGER mountains please!]

-Bake dirt in a furnace to get bricks.
-Iron Fire baskets: Big torches that take up a whole block

-Coral reefs, Sea life, Sea monsters, Sunken ships (with treasure!)!

-Clams which you can make clam soup with, seaweed and various plants could grow on the bottom with fishes and squids swimming around which you could kill with a spear or catch with a fishing rod, and sea monsters in deep and darker waters

-2D sprites grow on grass blocks to break up the terrain and give it more life

-more metals (copper, silver, steel?) & more gems (saphire / ruby / emerald / jade)

-gold coins, gold bars, gold-torches, gold-adorned iron/diamond armor (iron chestplate recipe, fill space with gold)
-gold goblets, crowns, other treasures (http://bit.ly/deQPeI)

-Boats & Cannons, Teleporters, Elevators, Compass, Catapult, Swimming fins, Fishing pole, backpack

-Carryable torches, light path as you walk, along with reverting back to darker nights

-Hammer & anvil, used to repair weapons and armor. Need iron hammer to repair iron armor. Diamond for diamond.

-Flying machines: Hot-air balloons, blimps, AIRSHIPS!!!

-Placable waypoints & player location on map!

-Beds. When used, health gradually restores. In single-player, time speeds up.
-Blanket: Faster bed healing. Cloth color determines blanket color.

-Birds, deer, moose, bears, panthers/tigers, wolves (howl at the moon), rabbits, other fluff wildlife
Which would appear to be a list of stuff Notch has been mulling over for implimentation into the game. Some good stuff there.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

More niche Minecraft humour: http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=AOsxrk3f0m8 (linked to avoid showing the preview image)

I've spent some time with the alpha over the weekend and it makes a lot more sense now. It's impressive that in the case of this game "alpha" doesn't indicate "buggy, unfinished and unstable", but rather "a fully working game going through evolutionary changes".

Multiplayer on this would be amazing. With more people you could build some incredible defensive structures, among other things. And new players could quickly learn the basics from the veterans.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

spoodie wrote:More niche Minecraft humour: http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=AOsxrk3f0m8 (linked to avoid showing the preview image)
:lol: that's pretty good.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

spoodie wrote:More niche Minecraft humour: http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=AOsxrk3f0m8 (linked to avoid showing the preview image)
Brilliant! :boogie:
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I want one in my castle. It'd be nice to take mining.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

It'd be awesome if it attracted zombies.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Looks like Minecraft is on the cusp of moving from O to MO, although with an offline mode it might just be M (or indeed just ). Anyway, apparently a big chunk of the boring stuff he's been putting off for about a month is done, and multiplayer is suddenly a lot closer.
Grimmie

Post by Grimmie »

WHY DID I START PLAYING THIS. :cry:
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Handy things to know:

Options > Difficulty > Peaceful Stops zombies etc spawning, good if you keep dying on your commute to your base after dying

Build big pillars with a few torches on as navigation markers if your base is a long way from the spawn point.

It can be worth carrying a furnace and crafting table when you're exploring caves, saves surfacing more than you need to. Though you may forget the way out, and end up having to dig up. :oops:

If you find yourself on fire with no water handy, eat foods, if you top yourself up to full health, your self heal will heal you as fast as you lose health, just have to put up with being on fire for a few minutes.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Thought:

Possible to use tools as rudimentary method of measurement? say, mine the life of a wooden pick in every direction and get a square?
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Thought:

Possible to use tools as rudimentary method of measurement? say, mine the life of a wooden pick in every direction and get a square?
Yes, but only if there's no different materials in the way
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dr. kitteny berk wrote:Build big pillars with a few torches on as navigation markers if your base is a long way from the spawn point.
Build it out of earth and put a tree on top. Once it's grown you can take the earth away and have a floating tree beacon. Obviously leaving the last block with torches on.

I found my first dungeon yesterday, with skeletons no less. It was an epic struggle with some death and loss of equipment. I didn't realise you could destroy the spawn block so it's still down in my basement, but it appeared to stop spitting out mobs once I'd lit the room.

I've an idea for a death pit to trap mobs for harvesting items. Ideally it'd be deep enough to kill them from the fall, but that may be impractical.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Mining patterns are the source of much deliberation on the MC forums, from what I've seen. Personally I dig a nice gentle staircase and mine out a cross that's got a 4 block span on each arm at every 3 levels. 4 blocks is the furthest you can mine, so you stand dig as far as you can from a stationary position, go to the end of the hole, then do the same in the other three directions. Then move down so that you've two blocks to mine out and another for the ceiling and repeat. It's not brilliant, but it's simple enough to not be confusing and you can expand the tunnels out in the same way later.

As for monster death pits, if they do kill the gribblies make sure you check it regularly as their droppings despawn eventually. You could let the sunlight kill skeles and zombies and just polish off the spiders. Don't know what happens to creepers during the day, I've never seen one on fire but I've also never seen them in the daytime. Probably just random chance. Anyway, how would you lure them in?

I've also still not found a dungeon :(
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

Dog Pants wrote:
As for monster death pits, if they do kill the gribblies make sure you check it regularly as their droppings despawn eventually. You could let the sunlight kill skeles and zombies and just polish off the spiders. Don't know what happens to creepers during the day, I've never seen one on fire but I've also never seen them in the daytime. Probably just random chance. Anyway, how would you lure them in?

I've also still not found a dungeon :(
pretty sure in infdev/alpha creepers dont burn in daylight, so creepers and spiders would be left over, and for luring them, if you want to tip em into a hole then build a dark cave for them to spawn in with a waterslide going down into the whole and 3 high walls either side so they can just run off it, althought then you need a way to stop the water reaching the bottom as if your killing them with sunlight they will just jump in the water, although apparantly if the water isnt a full block of water they wont stop burning in it
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:I've also still not found a dungeon :(
Mine wasn't too spectacular. It was the mystery and apprehension of finding a strange, fiery thing in the darkness. I cowered behind a glass wall for a good while and it took at least an hour for me to clear it out. The dungeon itself was just a small room with a chest and the mob spawn. The chest contained nothing too special and when I destroyed the spawn with a pickaxe it didn't drop a pig spawner. I was going to have fun with that. :(

As for the death pit, I hadn't really thought it through entirely. Perhaps a glass wall with the pit in front of it so the mobs approach you and fall in. And you might be able to have something at the bottom to funnel and contain the mobs and allows you to hit them but it's harder for them to hit you.
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

all the dungeons are just small sqaure rooms made of cobblestone with a mob spawner and a chest that has random loots, dunno why your mob spawner didnt drop a pig spawner though it did for me but i cant remember what i bashed it with
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Enemy mob spawning was broken by today's update it seems. And just as I wanted to test out my death pit/hole in the ground.

/edit
Apparently you don't get a pig spawner if you destroy mob spawner block now, it was removed. But some some ambient sounds have been added to caves, spooky.