Submarine Arthropods

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Submarine Arthropods

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Seeing as I have a new found ability to eat sea creatures, I'd like to try cooking some clawed shelled beasties, Mainly because they look interesting.

Any suggestions where to start?

Cheers
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Not a clue, but I'm interested in eating them. I saw some spider crab legs on the market the other week. Looked very exotic.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

amblin wrote:I take you're not asking after fishies, just other denizens of the deep?
Yep, might be worth a feesh thread, but I'm mostly interested in lobster, crab and relations of for the sake of this thread.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Second the crayfish, not quite as meaty fish as lobster, but close and with a flavour I prefer. Plus a damn sight cheaper.

Second also squid, whole baby squid are lubberly, just remember to take the beak out, those fuckers will chip a tooth or even open a tongue to the artery with ease.

Most rock clinging bottom feeders I avoid, I do this because they exist to felcher shite out the water and because the taste they have is generally 90% other ingredient, 10% fish.

But if you get them live then generally go for rope grown (cheaper farmed version) and make sure they're closed and give them nice fresh water with a bit of salt to felcher through overnight before offing them. Reduces grittiness and avoids giving you the screaming shits.
Akiakaiu
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Akiakaiu »

We used to get crawdads sent up from Louisiana, they are great. Just don't get the soft shell variety, you more swallow the body whole then eat the thing. Crab's are great too, used to go down by the Chesapeake Bay and get some fresh. They have this nice key piece on the bottom that you pry up and then you can break the body in half to get at the good stuff inside. Nice and messy foods, usually you use newspaper for the table cloth and a bucket for easy clean up.

I'd also recommend a nice shrimp or crawdad et tu fe if you like nice spicy foods.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

I'm a huge fan of chipirones - fried baby squid basically.

Its so much better if you can find somewhere that sells them fresh, and cooks them well so they are not overdone yet not rubbery. The spanish have them down to perfection, something to try if you ever go to valencia, or anywhere along the east coast i think.

Of all the places i've been to in the UK, perhaps surprisingly, ASK comes to mind as one of the best.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Post by Joose »

If your new-found tolerance of fish smell can stand it, the market in Leicester has an excellent fish and related creatures section. Worth a gander.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

:above: I plan on it, but nice to get ideas before going.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I've always been a fan of this type of seafood
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

CUUUUUUNT.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Roman Totale wrote:I've always been a fan of this type of seafood

Ooh, what's this? I'll just click on the link...

ROCK LOBSTER! SOHWOP SHOWOP!
TezzRexx
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

Post by TezzRexx »

EVERYBODY HAD.

MATCHING TOWELS.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

On the Boringest Catch they seem to do nothing but catch these huge crabs all the time, which reportedly fetch a massive price at restaurants or something. I've never tried anything other than tinned crab which was rubbish, so maybe try to eat one of those.

I'm not a massive fan of seafood, tuna steak tastes the same to me as tuna in a tin and prawns taste prawny. Everything else, lobster, crab, langoustines, crayfish and such just taste fishy to me, I half-think I could save my money and just buy catfood. Where I live is as far away as it is possible to get from the coast in any direction, so I haven't exactly had the exposure to anything decent.

My Dad's brother lives in Cromer, which I think is famous for some sea-creature I heard mentioned by a chef, so I may explore that avenue sometime. I think what we get here in Cov is basically shit.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

prawns? catfood?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzGJTplscfo[/media]
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

FatherJack wrote:On the Boringest Catch they seem to do nothing but catch these huge crabs all the time, which reportedly fetch a massive price at restaurants or something. I've never tried anything other than tinned crab which was rubbish, so maybe try to eat one of those.
King crab mostly, although I think they film it over several runs catching different crabs and blur it all together. Tinned crab is probably something easier to catch, although I couldn't tell you what the difference is.
FatherJack wrote:I'm not a massive fan of seafood, tuna steak tastes the same to me as tuna in a tin and prawns taste prawny. Everything else, lobster, crab, langoustines, crayfish and such just taste fishy to me,
Oddly enough I really don't like all but the blandest fish (battered cod or haddock is pretty much my limit, and even then I'm picky). Seafood though tastes completely different to me and I love it.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Battered cod is ace. I love tuna, especially when it's got black pepper and/or tuna in it.

Have you tried Monkfish? Tastes more like meat than fish. Swordfish is also quite meaty and delicious.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Roman Totale wrote:I love tuna, especially when it's got black pepper and/or tuna in it.
RECURSIVE TUNA!
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Roman Totale wrote:Battered cod is ace. I love tuna, especially when it's got black pepper and/or tuna in it.

Have you tried Monkfish? Tastes more like meat than fish. Swordfish is also quite meaty and delicious.
I like tuna with lime and/or chilli in. In fact I generally don't mind tuna, although steaks make my teeth hurt. I don't think I've tried monkfish, but it that's the case I'd give it a go. I've tried shark, which I wasn't that keen on but it wasn't too bad. Made my piss smell fishy for days though.
Akiakaiu
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Akiakaiu »

I like letting a tuna steak sit in some italian salad dressing before grilling it. That's good eats. Don't think I've tried monkfish, shark was good, as was swordfish. If I remember swordfish was very very tasty, but it's rather hard to find around here.