Spec me a :.... car?

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Spec me a :.... car?

Post by friznit »

Well, not really but it seemed an appropriate place to put it. I just nipped out to my mate the used car man down the road - I've done well by him before and he's about as trustworthy as a second hand car salesman can get, insofar as such an adjective can ever be applied to this particular market sector.

I had in mind to get me a Honda Civic, Ford Focus or something equally obnoxious and (fucking dull), but reliable and good enough for slogging around the M25 everyday to my new job.

Saw This Toyota of the pre-sticky-accelerator variety and had run around - fun little car, and runs quiet at <s>95</s> 70 mph. He'll knock 500 quid off the price, putting it a shade under 5 grand.

Thoughts?
fabyak
Home-made Big Daddy
Home-made Big Daddy

Post by fabyak »

LOLVO
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I'll be wanting to get special attachments so I can run mobile hair dryers in the back, of course.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Re: Spec me a :.... car?

Post by HereComesPete »

This
friznit wrote:reliable
Can't be applied to this
amblin wrote:Alfa
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I don't know how much a 5 year old Corolla is worth, but 5k doesn't seem too bad for me and prices are usually pretty uniform. If it's remarkably cheap there's usually a reason anyway, as I found out to my detriment. My car's the same age and I've done about 20,000 miles less than that, so the mileage might be a little on the high side, but modern cars can comfortably handle twice that. Toyota, despite recent events, have a decent reputation for reliability if I remember correctly. I certainly was planning on looking for a Japanese car next after only a 33% success rate with French cars.

Regardless of generalisms about Toyotas and cars in general though, make sure it's not a lemon. Take it for a test drive, and if there's anything that concerns you get it sorted before you hand any money over or walk away. After my experience I'd be very cautious about second hand cars, because despite there being laws against dodgy dealers there's very little done to enforce them. If you know the guy and have reason to trust him then there's no reason to be as paranoid as I would be, but it's up to you exactly how much to trust him.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

That lolvo looks good.

I'd put my hand up and say Focus though, because they sold well there's quite a few about 2nd hand, ergo you're more likely to find one that's been looked after and is of low milage.

If you can find an ST170 though, they're pretty awesome focuses, comfortable and good drives, although the stiffer suspension may not be entirely conductive to motorway miles, but they're a bit more fun than the standard version.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

I have only a little experience with cars, but so far my little V dub has been rock solid and more reliable than a reliable thing.
100k miles and little to no servicing. Still going strong.

I'm certainly a fan of the German persuasion. If i had 5k, i'd be looking at a 3 series bmw, or a vw golf i think.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

ProfHawking wrote:I'm certainly a fan of the German persuasion.
We know, you've all seen your special interest collection. :bleh:
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

fabyak wrote:LOLVO
:above:
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

ProfHawking wrote: little to no servicing. Still going strong.
Did you ever get that hole-in-the-fuel-line-near-the-exhaust fixed?
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

My last car was a BMW 5 series and I loved it - bullet proof engine, great for long distance cruising, fucking awesome for turning up to polo matches wearing shades and the team strip and looking the part, cocking expensive whenever anything broke, but that happened very rarely. It hated town driving though and tended to overheat. It was also too big for London which is why it ended up sitting on my drive until I finally ditched it. 3 series is also good, but they've replaced the ignition with a scissor recognition programme so only hair dressers can drive them.

Having done some more research, I actually think my original gut feeling that the Corolla is a good deal has been confirmed. If I can beat him down in price a bit more I'll probably go for it: plus side being it's there and I can go ram sharp things down his throat if it fucks up.

Amblin: best way to relieve me of cash is to join the horses so my income tax will pay your salary. Where do you think I got it? :ahoy:
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

mrbobbins wrote:
Did you ever get that hole-in-the-fuel-line-near-the-exhaust fixed?
Ehwha? Oh that, yes twas just a loose hose. A new clip thing on the end and job's a goodun.

Who doesnt love sniffing petrol anyway
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

For 5k I'd get a Jaguar X or S type and travel those motorways in comfort. A 2.5l V6 or bigger should be a bit of fun, too.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

FatherJack wrote:For 5k I'd get a Jaguar X or S type and travel those motorways in comfort. A 2.5l V6 or bigger should be a bit of fun, too.
I wish. Sadly neither reliability nor fuel economy apply, which is a shame cos I'd love to own one.
Akiakaiu
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Akiakaiu »

I had a Tercel, had to put two motors in it though. In hindsight, maybe I should have not driven it as a rally car but there's too many back roads around here for me not too.

My mother on the other hand has has only two different Toyotas in the last twenty years, so if you drive like my mom they will last you a long time.

I'm not big on American car companies so can't say anything about the focus. As for Civics, my cuz had a 08 SI and was an awesome car, great for back road fun, and with the on board nav never get lost. Everyone else I know who has one has it addorned with way too many gold plated addons, 6" tailpipe on the end of the 1.5" exhaust. Oh and lots and lots of ground effect and spoilers. I think two on the back is standard nowadays. And a "In Memory of...." vinyl sticker on the back window.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

I don't know much about cars, but when the time comes to get one of my own I will be on the lookout for a golf, as everyone I ever met told me that they're pretty much the king of small cars.