Movie mini reviews

For talk on Movies, TV, Music & Books

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Repo man is an excellent film, utterly hatstand.

The new assault on precinct 13 is so totally different from the original and the worst bit is using shouty anger instead of quiet cold sweat tension.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I blame Tarantino.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

HereComesPete wrote:Repo man is an excellent film, utterly hatstand.

The new assault on precinct 13 is so totally different from the original and the worst bit is using shouty anger instead of quiet cold sweat tension.
Repo Man's awesome, even the hilarious BBC-censored version. Melon Farmer.

Assault on Precinct 13 wasn't even the same damn story, it angered me. But then the ice cream truck scene from the original is my second-favourite scene in any movie, ever.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

It is excellent isn't it.

Hmm, idea...
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

FatherJack wrote: Repo Man's awesome, even the hilarious BBC-censored version. Melon Farmer.

Assault on Precinct 13 wasn't even the same damn story, it angered me. But then the ice cream truck scene from the original is my second-favourite scene in any movie, ever.
:above:

The ice cream truck scene is still one of the best things ever, they don't do things like that in films any more.
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Did you say they're going through Carpenter's back catalogue? They'd better not go near The Thing. I don't think any remake could do that film justice.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

buzzmong wrote:Did you say they're going through Carpenter's back catalogue? They'd better not go near The Thing. I don't think any remake could do that film justice.
:above:

In many cases the effects and stuff could use an overhaul, but The Thing is one of the rare films which still stands up today.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

My blood curdles every time in the scene when they test each other's blood.

(see what I did there?)
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Dog Pants wrote:In many cases the effects and stuff could use an overhaul, but The Thing is one of the rare films which still stands up today.
I've seen it recently on Bluray and it still can't be beat.

I wasn't going to post this in the trailer thread as I'm not sure what to make of the it, but this is a trailer for Alex Cox's new film Repo Chick.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Pontypool

It's about a down-on-his-luck radio shock jock working at a station in a small town in Canada. During his morning show he starts getting alarming reports of strange events outside. That's about all I can say. Essentially it's a zombie film but with a bizarre and interesting twist. It's well worth watching if you're a fan of zombies and/or isolation based horrors. And if you do watch it make sure you sit through the credits and beyond.

7/10

/edit
I'd like to point out the 7/10 is an objective score, or as objective as I can be. I'm not suggesting it's only for zombie fans, it's quite good generally. For the fan of the zombie is goes up to around 8/10.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

My copy of Pontypool arrived on friday. Not watched it yet though. I'm looking forward to it.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Just watched Pontypool, enjoyed it.

Also Georgina Reilly. Would.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I wasn't that impressed by Pontypool. Not bad, but not great. I just didn't go for the whole virus vector thing, and it seemed like the atmosphere music got really loud when you were supposed to be listening to something.

On the other hand, I just watched Moon. I didn't know anything about it, I just remember someone saying something good about it. For some reason I expected a comedy. In fact it's more like the good bits from 2001. Tension and intrigue in a very well realised low sci-fi setting. It's quite a slow film but very gripping, it keeps you watching by getting you involved in the characters and leading you into thinking about what's happening rather than just expecting you to think about it. Also, I'll never look at a smiley the same way again.

Last edited by Dog Pants on February 15th, 2010, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

Dog Pants wrote:I wasn't that impressed by Pontypool. Not bad, but not great. I just didn't go for the whole virus vector thing, and it seemed like the atmosphere music got really loud when you were supposed to be listening to something.
I thought the vector idea was interesting, but more than a little crazy, also allowed

I noticed the same with the music, seemed like it got in the way a lot.

Still, I liked it. Mainly because it wasn't same crap, different movie.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

I can't say I noticed the music, maybe I put it down to simulating the confusion of the condition.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Edge of Darkness was originally a UK TV drama. There is a bit in it where the dad finds his dead daughter's vibrator and kisses it.
bomberesque
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by bomberesque »

Roman Totale wrote:There is a bit in it where the dad finds his dead daughter's vibrator and kisses it.
rather than sniffed then licked it?

Bloody Beeb, they always get these things wrong

.... and yay for wahlberg being in a good film. on that note; watched The Big Hit again the other night. Not as good as I remember it being from the first viewing but still a great idea, if badly put together. Lou Diamond Phillips on great form
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

The Crazies (2010)

A reasonably enjoyable remake of the less than good 1973 original. And like the original it's not strictly a zombie film, but it shares some of the devices. However the characters keep the typical horror movie mistakes to a minimum, so it's less frustrating and more tension building. Although it can be a little sedate in places, for a horror film.

:starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starfull::starempty::starempty::starempty: (7/10)