Phobias

News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lee
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Lee »

amblin wrote:Moths are also utter, utter bastards, flying right at my face all the fucking time. I'm not a damned lightbulb, piss off! Argh! Hate them, hate them hate them.
:above:

Once had one fly into my mouth, was horrible.
Fred Woogle
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fred Woogle »

Also, I have a Phobia of Monday Mornings.
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

amblin wrote:Moths are also utter, utter bastards, flying right at my face all the fucking time. I'm not a damned lightbulb, piss off! Argh! Hate them, hate them hate them.
:above: flittery bastards.

I wouldn't classify it as a phobia though, more a deep hatred that results in them being tortured to death.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

From reading all this I can't recommend Australia to any of you, it has moths and spiders the size of your hand, and some (brown recluse spiders) can you Necrotizing fasciitis, and every snake you see (and there's loads) can kill you in a few hours.

As for me, I always liked reptiles and snakes in particular, so no phobias there. Spiders on the other hand do make me feel a bit uneasy, but for some reason this only happens when their back body is really small, I assume it's because they make the legs look bigger. For example, in Australia they have these things called huntsman spiders (I posted a picture of it on the disco board once) and they're called huntsman spiders because they don't build a web, instead they jump right on top of their prey with lightning speed, I've seen it happening and it jumped so fast my brain did not even register the jump, it just teleported from one place to another. Things like cross spiders and hairy tarantulas I'm okay with.
I'm okay with heights and I'm used to wasps, there's always tons of these fuckers in the bushes next of my house, and bob's cage (which is full of fermenting fruit) attracts them. We use these wasp trap things which you fill with beer and after a week they turn into little wasp mass-graves, with at least 200 wasps per trap.
Then one night a hornet flew into my room, I'll admit that those bastards are a bit scary, as they're MASSIVE and make REALLY LOUD NOISES, and it nestled on top of some wires hanging in my room, making it impossible to swat with a book, so I grabbed my scissor and cut it in half (I couldn't make it go out the window, it really liked my room) the scary thing was that the upper body kept on living like nothing happened and the back body was trying to sting me and dropped big drops of wasp venom, scary stuff.
Bees are really cool though, I like bees.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Grimmie
Master of Soviet Propaganda
Master of Soviet Propaganda

Post by Grimmie »

Heights make my feet tingle, and give me a little vertigo. It's not a nice feeling, but I wouldn't say it's a fear of mine.
Don't mind water at all, quite happy on ferries and boats, or flying over an ocean. Quite like swimming out in beaches too.

Don't like needles, have to turn away when they're on TV. But again, as many people have said here, it's more of a hate reaction, than a fear.
TheJockGit
Boba Fett
Boba Fett

Post by TheJockGit »

SOBRIETY!!!.. */shudder
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Mr. Johnson wrote:From reading all this I can't recommend Australia to any of you, it has moths and spiders the size of your hand, and some (brown recluse spiders) can you Necrotizing fasciitis, and every snake you see (and there's loads) can kill you in a few hours.
Brown Recluse Spiders are North American, they don't exist in Australia, but yes, they're nasty bastards.

But the lack of that spider makes little difference considering the other nasties they've got.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Well, it's one of the others then, White-tailed spiders were supposedly the cause but they're not so sure now, neither am I.

cupcake.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've no phobias. I'm scared of stuff (other people particularly, human beings are nasty fuckers), I suffer from vertigo like most people, and I'm not a fan of being underground in confined spaces, especially ones that are full of water. I think that's all pretty rational though. I like spiders, I like snakes, I like bees (not keen on wasps, but I can ignore them until they go away).

Heights are probably the closest I've got. Climbing doesn't bother me, although climbing ladders does. I once had to do some working at heights training. The ten foot ladder scared the shit out of me, but the fifty foot climb was fine. Hanging out of the side of a helicopter didn't bother me, but being at the top of one of those fairground rides that drops you did. I think it's just a confidence thing.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

I too love bees. They're fucking ace. Hate wasps though - not a phobia I just think they're shit.
Mr. Johnson
Mr Flibbles
Mr Flibbles

Post by Mr. Johnson »

Roman Totale wrote:I too love bees. They're fucking ace. Hate wasps though - not a phobia I just think they're shit.

This. The incomprehensible wall of text I posted above says the same, but I didn't make it particularly clear.
Also bumblebees are even less aggressive than normal bees and if you're careful you can pet them without them flying off. Or they're too fat to fly.
Fred Woogle
Zombie
Zombie

Post by Fred Woogle »

TheJockGit wrote:SOBRIETY!!!.. */shudder
Taraniis
Ferret
Ferret

Post by Taraniis »

Heights make my nads twitch. Not really a good thing when as a civil engineer I am expected to get in a hoist (read cage with an electric motor attached to a rack and pinion climbing system) and go to the top of a building which hasn't got any floors yet. I went to Las Vegas last year, shit my pants when I was stood at the top of the Stratosphere and when I visited the Hoover Dam I couldn't look straight over the wall. Yet, stick me at the edge of the Grand Canyon and for some reason I can hang myself over the edge of that 4000ft chasm without a care in the World.

In game though I don't get those same feelings of sheer terror, panic and a sudden urge to curl up in a ball on the floor.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Taraniis wrote: when I visited the Hoover Dam I couldn't look straight over the wall. Yet, stick me at the edge of the Grand Canyon and for some reason I can hang myself over the edge of that 4000ft chasm without a care in the World.
Having seen pictures of the Hoover Dam I imagine I'd be the same. Similarly I'm fine with natural heights - it's just the man made ones that freak me out.
Legoshoes
Unicorn
Unicorn

Post by Legoshoes »

Invertebrates.

Any invertebrates freak me the fuck out. They're nothing but wobbly bastards.