Free to a good home

If you touch your software enough does it become hardware?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Stoat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stoat »

spoodie wrote:Is it, in what way?
- Mainly its lack of buttons. A music player you can't operate while it's in your pocket is downright inconvenient. Although newer generations have volume buttons ( *slow hand clap* ) and you can shake-to-shuffle if you really want to explain your actions to a community support officer.
- No playlist management.
- Least random Shuffle in the universe.
- Sound Check (normalization) doesn't appear to do anything at all.
- Coverflow hides all the controls.
- It skips more than Annie.
- Artwork corruption.
- Defaults to "Hey! Let's play all your music alphabetically!" for reasons unknown.
- iPod iTunes.
- PC iTunes.

I do love it for all the other things it does well, but if I'm listening to music it's my Zen in my pocket.
cheeseandham
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by cheeseandham »

20gb Creative Zen here.

(also have a 20Gb Creative Jukebox 3 - £350 of "CD-player sized" MP3 player in 2002 bought in Singapore before they were available over here)
Go technology, go!
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Stoat wrote: - Mainly its lack of buttons. A music player you can't operate while it's in your pocket is downright inconvenient. Although newer generations have volume buttons ( *slow hand clap* ) and you can shake-to-shuffle if you really want to explain your actions to a community support officer.
- No playlist management.
- Least random Shuffle in the universe.
- Sound Check (normalization) doesn't appear to do anything at all.
- Coverflow hides all the controls.
- It skips more than Annie.
- Artwork corruption.
- Defaults to "Hey! Let's play all your music alphabetically!" for reasons unknown.
- iPod iTunes.
- PC iTunes.

I do love it for all the other things it does well, but if I'm listening to music it's my Zen in my pocket.
Interesting. I've only used Apple MP3 players so I have no insight into other options. But I've noted from the first iPod I had that the shuffle sucked and always wanted playlist management. Otherwise no real problems and they sound great. I'm stuck with my iPhone anyway as it does other useful things.
amblin
Zombie Spanger
Zombie Spanger

Post by amblin »

Last edited by amblin on May 5th, 2014, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

spoodie wrote:Interesting. I've only used Apple MP3 players so I have no insight into other options. But I've noted from the first iPod I had that the shuffle sucked and always wanted playlist management. Otherwise no real problems and they sound great. I'm stuck with my iPhone anyway as it does other useful things.
I'd heard people complain about the sound of iPods, my Sony sounds "meatier" to me than the couple of earlier iPods I've tried, but I'm no expert.

I don't really have a use for them anymore now: my car accepts MP3s on a CD and my phone has a memory card slot and headphone socket.