Blood Bowl - PC/XBox 360

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Blood Bowl - PC/XBox 360

Post by Dog Pants »

Blood Bowl - PC (XBox 360 also available)

Introduction
Blood Bowl is the newly released digital version of the ancient and quirky board game, a spinoff of Games Workshop's Warhammer Fantasy series. Those who already know what the game involves can skip on to the next paragraph as I explain the basic premises.

Blood Bowl, in all its formats, is basically American Football played by fantasy races. As befitting a sports game with orcs, goblins and trolls, it is hugely violent and very tongue-in-cheek. Players are encouraged injure and kill each other, to foul each other behind the referee's back, and of course to score. From a sporting point of view the game is very simplified, but as a turn based tactical game it is quite deep. Some I've played have compared it to chess in the way it's simple to learn but intensely strategic. On top of the game played on the field, there has always been an RPG element of team progression as your players gain skills and injuries, and try to stay alive as long as possible. One of the greatest assets of the game is the fact that as soon as you fail a roll, your turn is over. This means every decision is a tactical one, weighing up the odds of success so that you can maximise your activity before letting the other guy have a go.

Gameplay
The PC conversion is very faithful to the board game. After taking a few turns to get used to the interface and 3D-ness of it all, it all becomes very intuitive, rarely involving anything more complex than basic RTS controls. The game makes all rolls for you and gives you the options available after the results. The single player game could have been crippled by dodgy 'random' number generation when playing AI opponents, but I'm confident it relies on AI tactics rather than cheating rolls after half a dozen games of a mixture of good and bad luck for both sides. The AI isn't bad either. It tends to be a little predictable, generally caging the ball in with players then either running or passing, but it plays a solid game that will prove a decent level of challenge even if it's rarely surprising.

Off the pitch, there are plenty of ways of playing. From one off skirmishes to campaigns with what looks like 20 or so different competitions, public ranked games and player created multiplayer tournaments and leagues. Teams are moderately customisable (colour and logo), and the between game progression interface is usable if somewhat overcomplicated.

Sights and Sounds
The graphics aren't particularly impressive, but they do the trick. They're clear and fairly uncluttered, but the textures and models look fairly outdated. Still, they're not ugly for the most part and hopefully they'll run on a not-too-high-spec machine (although the stated requirements might prove otherwise).
The sound is a little more impressive. The game noises sound natural and unobtrusive, and there are nice little touches like the crowd roaring louder when you have the ball near the touchline. There's also a nice running commentary which is generally appropriate to what's going on in the game, and not too repetitive. One of them sounds like Pinky.

Stuff that sucks
It's kind of a one trick pony. Sure, there are different kinds of competitions and six races to play, different pitches and textures for the players, but at the end of the day every game is going to be a game of Blood Bowl. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's up to you to decide whether that warrants £25 of your money. Expansions will hopefully address this with new races and hopefully a Dungeon Bowl option (same game played in a complex of rooms and tunnels). Again though, it'll inevitably cost more money. The game can also be unforgiving of mistakes. Nothing has an undo option, from moves to actions to buying players. It's not a huge problem, but could lead to some rage moments occasionally.

Conclusion
Blood Bowl is a very satisfactory representation of the board game. It has the gameplay pretty much spot on, and it looks and feels like a professionally published game should. It is an excellent, if slightly unvaried, tactical game, with a decent sense of humour and a nice progression system. It isn't good enough to convert many people to playing turn based games, but for those of us who have enjoyed Civ, XCom and Fallout it's a nice little game.

Score : :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starfull: :starempty: :starempty: :starempty:
shot2bits
Zombie
Zombie

Post by shot2bits »

good review pants, i know its not had favourable feedback from what ive read, but have you tried the real time version at all? im still more interested in the turn based game but im curious as to how the real time game plays as it only had the turn based mode in the beta i played, which seemed pretty much the same as java bb just with less races and shineh 3d glory
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

No, although I know it has lots more customisation available. You can pick and choose which rules you want to use, get gear for your players, manage their pay, and possibly choose between real time and turn based. I've also yet to try multiplayer, so I can't say how good the browser and connectivity is. I've had a quick look and it appears okay though.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Blood Bowl - PC/XBox 360

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote: One of the greatest assets of the game is the fact that as soon as you fail a roll, your turn is over. This means every decision is a tactical one
To me, at least, this aspect seems more a gamble than a tactical decision. In no way a bad thing, and perhaps could open up the game to those who, like myself, like a wee virtual flutter now and then, though of course it does influence your tactics as you would chose more probable or more profitable routes first.
Joose
Turret
Turret

Re: Blood Bowl - PC/XBox 360

Post by Joose »

FatherJack wrote: To me, at least, this aspect seems more a gamble than a tactical decision. In no way a bad thing, and perhaps could open up the game to those who, like myself, like a wee virtual flutter now and then, though of course it does influence your tactics as you would chose more probable or more profitable routes first.
I think what he means is that almost every action you take in a turn has the potential to end your turn, so you need to decide which actions are more important than others. Do I hit that guy first, clearing space for my runner, but potentially leaving the runner a full turns movement back if the hitting goes wrong? That sort of thing.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Indeed. It's about probabilities, and Kieron Gillen mentions it sometimes in his rather good Blood Bowl writeups on RPS. There is an element of luck involved that can destroy the game of even the best player, but it never really feels unfair because you see it happening to the other guy too. Usually it just raises a laugh from me.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

I've tried out the tutorials and realtime modes briefly.

The tutorial started out pretty good, giving you the chance to play around passing and tackling on a practice pitch, then moved on to explaining the bits outside of the game, such as player stats and buying extra bits like ref bribes. After that, though, it seemed to concentrate a lot on the real time mode. There is a specific tutorial for each game type though.

The real time mode seemed to flow along at a reasonable pace, and you can stop the game to issue orders and things as is common in real time tactical games. It never felt as involved though, and seemed to end up with all the players piling on top of the ball carrier. I only played one game as I'm more interested in the turn based game, but while it wasn't terrible I doubt I'd have been interested if it was exclusively this mode.

While I was playing around setting up the real time game, though, I found that in Blitz mode you can also opt to keep it turn based. This gives you far more options than in classic mode, and allows you to play with the rules, use equipment, train your players, and plenty more. It looks like a whole other little meta-game of career management that you don't really get in classic mode.

Personally I'm happy with the classic game, it's what I bought it for, but I can see the turn based Blitz mode adding a reasonable amount of longetivity once the novelty has worn off.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

I've been playing Blitz on turn-based, I like the management/player hiring/development side of things.

The tutorial was very basic and on completion I didn't feel I knew what a game was like, but the best training for that is to just give it a go.

On easy mode, tried elves, but the whole team just got flattened by dwarves, so I gave up on them.

Went with Chaos, held out until nearly the end against humans, both of us seemed remarkably crap, neither being able to reliably pick up the ball so it was more about repositioning and chasing the ball around until right at the death they grabbed it and got a touchdown from seemingly nowhere.

Next match was dwarves again, starting to hate them. They huddle together and you can't get near the ball as they walk it over the the line. Adandoned that match.

Then it was the Scaven. With a lot of movement they run all over the place, near the start they just ran straight through me and scored. Was the first team I seemed to catch a break with the knockdowns - seemed more 50-50 whereas the other matches it was always me on my arse. Nearly scored just before half time, but gambled on the square you have to roll on, failed, fell over and dropped the ball and the half ended. Managed to keep the ball for most of the second half and crept forward cautiously, with time nearly over, made a dash past their endless blocks, skipped the tackle and evened the score. It felt like a victory.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Well if it makes you feel any better, Elves and Chaos (and Goblins) are quite difficult to play. Lizardmen and Skaven a bit more medium, and Humans and Orcs are easier.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Couple more points to make:

Good: The game makes your team up to 11 players with free mercenaries if you're short, and gives money to spend on rerolls and star players for that match as a handicap.

Bad: It's pretty unforgiving. You can't undo team changes, you can't stop a game without forfeiting once you've hit the 'prepare match' button, even if you haven't actually started yet.
Roman Totale
Robotic Bumlord
Robotic Bumlord

Post by Roman Totale »

Bad: it keeps resetting my god damn formation every time the other team scores.