Mass Effect PC

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sheriff Fatman
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Sheriff Fatman »

Dog Pants wrote:Is it any good? I heard it put a time limit on the game.
Haven't the foggiest mate. I've not tried it. It's free tho :)
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

Sheriff Fatman wrote:Haven't the foggiest mate. I've not tried it. It's free tho :)
360 owners had to pay for it, pwnt

I'd only bother with it if I wanted to start the game from scratch, which I don't.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Dog Pants wrote:I'll definately be playing through again, if only to try the other romantic sub-plots
So you're interested in looking at a pixellated blue ass instead of a pixellated pink one? Good choice sir, good choice.

It's a good idea to keep a save for multiple states though indeed, as your choices will carry over to Mass Effect 2. (Although there's really a big distance between "human fourth grade race still under the council" and "human galaxywide dictatorship"
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Dog Pants wrote:I'll definately be playing through again, if only to try the other romantic sub-plots and try life as a renegade (and this time maybe not let the Council get blown up :))
I might have another go as renegade, I didn't experience any romantic sub plots at all - do you have to talk to your crew mates or something, they didn't seem to say very much at first, so I didn't bother after that.

I was a hacking/shooting girl and took Ashley and Liara everywhere, so I might try an all-male team as well as well as being more soldiery to try the other guns, although three shots of my Spectre pistol was enough to take down most enemies.

The council thing at the end was just a single decision and I tried the other approach from the last savegame but it disappointingly didn't change the ending much.

I'll probably wait a while until I've forgotten the dialogue though, as a few things it didn't matter what you chose and it'll be annoying if I'm trying to do it the opposite way.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Yeah if you talk with your crew you can start these romantic plotlines, if you're a man then Ashley or Liara, if a woman, then Kaidan (iirc the name) and Liara.

As for the team, I stuck with Garrus and Tali. Both are light techies, Garrus more of an assaulty type, and Tali being the shotgun bitch with pleasant accent.
Last edited by Baliame on July 29th, 2008, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Akiakaiu
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Akiakaiu »

I'm on my 6th play-thru, this time as a chick to see the lezzy sex scenes. I'm gonna dl the expansion soonish I'll let you know what's the deal.
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Akiakaiu wrote:I'm on my 6th play-thru, this time as a chick to see the lezzy sex scenes. I'm gonna dl the expansion soonish I'll let you know what's the deal.
Well you're either damn bored or just don't know how to use YouTube.
Akiakaiu
Shambler In Drag
Shambler In Drag

Post by Akiakaiu »

Well I know how to use youtube, and I'm not bored. It's just fun to play. It's not like it's a long game.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I just bought this. It makes my main machine shut down (think I have an issue with cooling, power and/or my 8800 is fucked and kills the computer when running some combination of pixel shaders - Crysis did it too).

The interface is really fucking irritating for anyone used to customisable mouse driven windows (WoW, Neverwinter Nights, Eve...pretty much any game designed with a human being in mind rather than a 3 fingered monkey).

The voice acting is superlative, graphics are nice, level design is a bit underwhelming but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

Awesome. 2/3 of the way through, playing happily. Started the game up today and it fails at the loading screen with a windoze critical error. Nothing on the system as changed, I haven't updated anything since I was playing last night, it's just decided to break. Fuck this, cba to start again from the beginning. How does it end?
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

Spoiler:
you save the universe from the reapers by killing saren who may repent at the end and kill himself if you convince him but still turns into a super-saren anyway, the big baddy ship gets destroyed whatever and a piece crashes into where you were fighting saren and everyone thinks you are dead but you're not, then the council either die or are saved based on a single option you choose, and the humans get a proper seat on the council, or run the whole council depending on that outcome, you get to choose the oily councillor bloke or your former captain as the human representative the it shows you in a heroic pose
Baliame
Tremors Worm
Tremors Worm

Post by Baliame »

Spoiler:
All what FJ said, there are tons of endings: You can kill the human fleet, or save them. You can save the council, or kill them and either have a human dictatorship, having either the captain or the ambassador in charge or a new council. Personally, I miss the option to rape the ambassador with a knife for being such a douchebag. Anyway, Saren dies, the Reaper dies, the Citadel Relay is deactivated, but the Reapers are on their way from the deadspace.
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

FatherJack wrote:
Spoiler:
it shows you in a heroic pose

it is worth noting that Mass Effect 2 will apparently base itself off of your choices from the end of the first game, so it might be worth your time to actually finish.
friznit
Heavy
Heavy

Post by friznit »

I may get around to reinstalling it all sometime if that helps. I was rather enjoying it to be fair, even though every planet in the galaxy is apparently the same and future generations have taken industrial deforestation to a dramatic conclusion.
HereComesPete
Throbbing Cupcake
Throbbing Cupcake

Post by HereComesPete »

Given they expect a lot but not all to have played the first they'll no doubt have a few buttons to click at the start that sorts out the fate of the council/saren/all of it in a few seconds.
FatherJack
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by FatherJack »

HereComesPete wrote:Given they expect a lot but not all to have played the first they'll no doubt have a few buttons to click at the start that sorts out the fate of the council/saren/all of it in a few seconds.
Like KoTOR 2, where they asked a few leading questions, like "was Revan a girl?"
deject
Berk
Berk

Post by deject »

FatherJack wrote: Like KoTOR 2, where they asked a few leading questions, like "was Revan a girl?"
According to canon, Revan's a dude.
spoodie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by spoodie »

deject wrote:According to canon, Revan's a dude.
Possibly uncomfortable news for FJ then. :wronghole: