News and important info, general banter, and suggestions for 5punk

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Stuk
Monkey
Monkey

Xfire + 5punk

Post by Stuk »

I feel a bit guilty for starting so many threads in the past few days :oops:

But anyways, you may remember XMLfire that I posted about a while back. Briefly: it scrapes the information from the Xfire profile pages and lets us use it for our things. Well WEY mentioned putting it to some use on the 5punk forums (which of course I think is a great idea :P)

At the moment I'm actually re-writing the code to make it faster and put the data out in an array which can then be converted to XML. The XMLfire title doesn't really suit it any more so I've 'code named' it "Smokey".

As so not to hijack the flash animation thread I've made this one so that people can come up with ideas on how to use it, and how to make this forum even superer.

The old page is still up so you can see mine and Wyrd's attempts at doing something with it.

I will probably be in Wales Wednesday to Friday, so you might not see any more updates until Saturday :(

Stuk
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Woo Elephant Yeah »

Wow, I haven't seen the most recent stuff you made :shock:

I quite like the idea of having a custom image for the Xfire profiles on 5punk i.e. http://mooses.34sp.com/xmlfire/2/image2 ... ephantyeah

I think the important thing is to think about what information we'd like to show on the custom image, and make it as useful/pretty as possible.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

I guess nobody is interested then :cry:
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

i think you probably didn't make it too clear you wanted input
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

What information would you all like to see within your customised mini profiles on 5punk???

There Image :roll:
Dr. kitteny berk
Morbo
Morbo

Post by Dr. kitteny berk »

drunkenness status
Jinxx
Optimus Prime
Optimus Prime

Post by Jinxx »

Length of cock, sexuality (sober), sexuality (stoned/drunk).

But less seriously, I think you can ditch the most played of all time stuff and make the xfire logo smaller.
ProfHawking
Zombie
Zombie

Post by ProfHawking »

name, online/offline, game they are playing/most often play
and dont forget the nudy ladies
Stuk
Monkey
Monkey

Post by Stuk »

Well this is what I have so far (I know that this week and all time are the same at the moment):
(Sorted with htaccess)

http://www.thejunkyard.co.uk/smokey/pun ... RXFIRENAME
or http://www.thejunkyard.co.uk/smokey/use ... RENAME.png (works in forums)

It can get all the info on the Xfire profile pages (although I haven't coded for friend stats yet), so feel free to suggest stuff from there.

Also notice nowhere in plain text does it say whether the user is offline/online/playing, and so I can't really grab this (well, I could sample the colour of a pixel that changes when a user is online/offline from a miniprofile, but this would be very slow.

Stuk
Last edited by Stuk on July 29th, 2005, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Wow, that's rather splendid :shock:

How about trying to remove the username bit, and only displaying the Nickname which includes the [5punk] tag, or is this not possible?

Where does it pull the avatar from?
The one set within your forum profile on xfire.com?
mrbobbins
Robotic Despot
Robotic Despot

Post by mrbobbins »

If it can pull any info from the Xfire Profile page, friends etc. then why not use it to generate a page on the 5punk site showing members stats,

Use WEY's profile (for example, as he most likely has more 5punkers on his friends list...), then generate a page showing that info, you could put it on the Xfire list page, then we can have a quick gander there as to everyones stats etc. without logging onto the Xfire site.

Me makey sense?
Stuk
Monkey
Monkey

Post by Stuk »

Woo Elephant Yeah wrote:Wow, that's rather splendid
Thank you :D
Woo Elephant Yeah wrote:How about trying to remove the username bit, and only displaying the Nickname which includes the [5punk] tag, or is this not possible?
Yep, that can be done, problem is if you look at your Xfire profile page, it automatically chops the end of your nick off for being too long (ouch :P) and so without your actual username, people won't know what it means. If you can live with being called "[5punk] Woo E..." then I'll do it :)
Woo Elephant Yeah wrote:Where does it pull the avatar from?
The one set within your forum profile on xfire.com?

From the Xfire site, would you prefer it to cum from 5punk?
mrbobbins wrote:If it can pull any info from the Xfire Profile page, friends etc. then why not use it to generate a page on the 5punk site showing members stats
Yep, could be done, and if we could find a way to cache all the stats into a database, then we could find out what 5punkers have been playing most this week etc. But that = lots of work, so keeping it simple with just our own customised page would be much easier.

I think we need to shout at Stoat for his ideas.

And here's the code that makes it tick: smokey.php.txt (people should be able to understand it, over half is comments), and the image script
pixie pie
Cheese Lord
Cheese Lord

Post by pixie pie »

Hey stu. (I'm not stalking you... on purpose)..
Just noticed that smokey has a bug. The weekly times aren't quite right. Well, I know for a fact that I played WoW not CSS this week... so, err, um, yeah basically, the weekly times is outputting the same data as the "all time".

I dunno if you know this already or whatever? but it does. )=
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

I think a stats page for all 5punk members would be good enough narf, and we could then leave the mini profiles alone, thus saving lots and lots of bandwidth.

For example, the xfired.php page looks for anyone who has an entry in the xfire field in the database, so if something could be created to list everyone alphabetically from the database, and then show relevant stats for each of them, this would be awesome.

How easy do you think this would be?

P.S. Yeah, just leave the usernames as they are :wink:
Stuk
Monkey
Monkey

Post by Stuk »

First I want to show off this. :) (It's very ugly, function over form here)
Type your xfire name in the bottom and it will show you who you need to add after grabbing your xfire friends list. The friend's list here is really small because its using a database off my server, and I couldn't add everyone. A feature that could be added to xfired.php?
Woo Elephant Yeah wrote:So if something could be created to list everyone alphabetically from the database, and then show relevant stats for each of them, this would be awesome.
Ok do you mean in a table form eg.
Userrrrr - All: CS:S: 133 hrs - Week: WoW: 37hrs
Another - All: CS:S: 143 hrs - Week: WoW: 27hrs
etc.

or a list of links (as it is at the moment) with a link, maybe the profile image, showing a 5punkified profile page?

The first one would be more difficult to do, as we would have to cache the data so that the page wouldn't take weeks to load and we would also be putting a heavy load on the xfire server, but it would have all the information at a glance

Second is entirely possible, just a matter of deciding on a layout and slotting the information in. Again we could cache the info to make it quicker, but one person at a time should be okay.
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Ahhhh goodd stuff so far.

I'll have a think/chat about what we need with Stoat, and I'll get back to you.
Thanks for your help so far dude :wink:
Puggers
Kitten
Kitten

Post by Puggers »

Does Xfire have the capacity to list your in game stats i.e. KD ratio and the likes?

If it could then it'd probably be cool to have something like an all-time best ratio or something such.

This is assuming that all games played work on a kill/death thing
Woo Elephant Yeah
Heavy
Heavy

Nope, unfortunately not. :(

Click on your mini profile up there on the top right of your post to see what info xfire stores