CoD4: SP (edited to remove spoilers)

Console/PC game reviews by 5punkers

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lateralus
Dr Zoidberg
Dr Zoidberg

CoD4: SP (edited to remove spoilers)

Post by Lateralus »

Well, I figure that this is worthy of its own thread. Just completed it now, and thought it was excellent. A little short perhaps, but given that the game is as much about the MP as the SP, I'm not too bothered.

In terms of graphics, I think it's brilliant. As has been mentioned a few times, the game looks far too good considering how quickly it loads and how smoothly it plays. Fair enough, I may have a cupcake card, but even so I've not heard anyone complain about it yet on other cards, and the rest of my system is not exactly top-spec. The feel of the different missions is good, and the variety of mission types keeps it interesting. The biggest contrast is probably the sniper mission, which is slow and stealthy, but I really enjoyed it.

The default controls were a little odd I thought, but once I'd changed them to something more natural, I rarely had issues with what to press. The one thing I'd probably change is for the mouse wheel to cycle through all the weapons, not just the two guns. Having to press numbers for claymores etc meant that I just ended up never using them. Having the two shoulder buttons on my mouse set to grenade and melee meant that they became quite reflexive, although the melee tends to be far more useful in MP games I think. It took me a while to get the hang of killing the dogs, in that you can't button mash to get them off you and actually have to time it to when they bite, and I almost never successfully threw back enemy grenades either.

The storyline was interesting enough to keep the game flowing, and playing as both Marines and SAS made it more interesting. The retrospective sniper mission was perhaps a little jarring with the rest, but the contrast in gameplay made it worthwhile. I quite liked the way it ended.

I like the idea of the arcade mode, and although I've not tried them yet there appear to be some amusing cheats that get unlocked at the end.

All in all it was a very enjoyable game, and the MP version has really grabbed me. The game is well deserving of my monies I think.
Last edited by Lateralus on November 11th, 2007, 11:42, edited 3 times in total.
Dog Pants
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dog Pants »

Any chance of a review that doesn't contain spoilers? Y'know, for those of us who haven't bought it yet?

EDIT: Cheers Lat
buzzmong
Weighted Storage Cube
Weighted Storage Cube

Post by buzzmong »

Installed it last night, and it's really pretty, considering I'm only running it 1024x768 on the x800XT card in this machine, so it's running on rather low settings.

I can't wait to run it nearly full tilt on my x1950Pro at home, shall look swish methinks.
MrGreen
Shambler
Shambler

Post by MrGreen »

It's freakishly well-optimised.